Tuning Rapala's Jiggin Raps

papaperch

If some of you are not using this lure. Get some of them. They work all year around but I really like them using thru ice. They will catch fish just as they are. But I like to make a few adjustments to them.

First I use a pair of wire cutters and cut off the front and rear hooks. Every fish I have caught on these lures over the years. Has been on the belly treble hook. Got tired of losing fish when these hooks caught on edge of ice hole. Also the treble hook that comes on lures should be extended or replaced with a slightly longer treble. Adding one split ring will add up to a lot more solid hook-ups by allowing the hook to hang just a nnnnnth further away from body of lure.

They come in two slightly different styles the original jiggin rap and the shad jiggin rap. I use both types and found the 2 inch and down to the 1 inch very effective. When fish are a little picky add just a little meat to the treble hook. I have had fish hit this lure setting absolutely still. Mostly when attending my other rod.

Other lure companies have made some imitations of these lures. I would assume they work also. Have caught almost all species of fish on these but mostly perch , crappie and walleye.

Muskygary

papaperch said:
If some of you are not using this lure. Get some of them. They work all year around but I really like them using thru ice. They will catch fish just as they are. But I like to make a few adjustments to them.

First I use a pair of wire cutters and cut off the front and rear hooks. Every fish I have caught on these lures over the years. Has been on the belly treble hook. Got tired of losing fish when these hooks caught on edge of ice hole. Also the treble hook that comes on lures should be extended or replaced with a slightly longer treble. Adding one split ring will add up to a lot more solid hook-ups by allowing the hook to hang just a nnnnnth further away from body of lure.

They come in two slightly different styles the original jiggin rap and the shad jiggin rap. I use both types and found the 2 inch and down to the 1 inch very effective. When fish are a little picky add just a little meat to the treble hook. I have had fish hit this lure setting absolutely still. Mostly when attending my other rod.

Other lure companies have made some imitations of these lures. I would assume they work also. Have caught almost all species of fish on these but mostly perch , crappie and walleye.
Now I know your talking about the old jigging rap, but what about the new snap rap? Have you tried it yet? Also have heard guys are doing good with the ultra lite rippin rap.

Kdog

I love the Jiggin rap for fall and winter on cold water and I modify mine by adding 2 treble hooks.

First, I feel the treble hook needs to be free moving to prevent change in lure action.

Things I tried
Treble hook fitted over single hook then big gob of epoxy on bend of single hook - . worked but time consuming and hard to get proper size gob.

Treble hook fitted over single hook then big gob of lead solder bend of single hook - . worked but hard to get proper size gob.

#00 split ring over hook then attach treble hook - too bloody of an operation for me and not quite as secure as I like.

After several trials, I found what in my opinion is the quick and easy solution.

Finally, found some 1/16" and 1/8" shrink tubing - Perfect solution.
BTW can be bought online - lifetime supply for a nominal fee ~15.00 for 50ft http://www.cableorganizer.com/heat-shri ... at-shrink/
Also, a lot of hobby shops carry packs of heat shrink 3-5 pieces 3" long in sizes from 3/64" thru 3/8"
one pack of 1/16' or 1/8" will do a couple dozen lures.

Place treble hook over single hook, cut 1/8" long piece of heat shrink place over single hook and move it to belly of hook and shrink with a lighter or candle or heat gun. Repeat with a second piece to make sure eye of treble hook will not slide past. Repeat for second single hook.
Pics are attached of finished product (I hope) BTW, The green tubing about the jig is 1/8" and the Blue tubing below is 1/16"

Attachments

• 2012-11-07 13-11-28.638 (1).jpg
    2012-11-07 13-11-28.638 (1).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 2012-11-07 13-12-04.760.jpg
    2012-11-07 13-12-04.760.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 21
Back