Trout Jig Ideas, prototypes

Teamasgrow

First post here, but by the looks of this site it will keep plenty of feathers flying and lead melting for me on the weekends!

I have been doing some research on marabou jigs that are used for Trout on Lake Tanneycomo. These are a few of what I have worked up so far.

Natural Colors seem to work best down there.
Top: 1/8th oz, #4 Abderdeen, New Penny Head, Light olive and ginger marabou
Mid: 1/8th oz, #4 Aberdeen, Pumpkin Brown Head, Light olive, Olive and Ginger Marabou
Bottom:1/32nd oz, #6 Aberdeen, Pumpkin Brown Head, Light olive and ginger marabou.

output_zpsd3lnnzwr.jpg

I have made some 1/80th, 1/64th and 1/16th as well in various natural colors as well plus some with orange heads.

Any other ideas of what works down there.
Thanks in advance.

TA

Radtexan

Welcome aboard. !! Great first post too !!
Not familiar with that lake but we have a couple of Missourians here that may be.

Great lookin ties !

JUNGLEJIM1

Chrome dome which is a chrome head, red thread and white marabou. It imitates the shad that get chopped up going through the turbines above Taneycomo and end up in the lake. You can substitute silver powder paint for the chrome head. Don't forget black which is a killer color at the trout parks, never fished Taneycomo but I'm sure black will work there. Those colors you got in the picture are nice colors for trout anywhere.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Must be some good size trout to target with 1/8 jigs? 1/8 #4 currently my go to size for Heartland trouties since I avoid fresh stockers. Long casts are definitely an advantage in pressured waters.

My experience is that trout have their moods - when aggressive they can bite anything thrown at them, or have their skunk funk periods when only bait works.

My preference is for conservative natural forage colors like yours, tho have caught them on bright hot colors also. Interesting to experiment with colors, but if I could pick one favorite it would be black. In fact, got 18 two Fridays ago on the same black wool 1/8 Boolie jig.

Teamasgrow

The size of the jigs depends on how much current is being produced by electric production from the dam. The bigger 1/8th oz jigs will be used during his current to get to the bottom and drifted. Smaller jigs will be cast and retrieved, the smallest ones will be worked under floats during light production.

Thanks for noticing my toes!

Teamasgrow

Thanks for the Invite BucktailJiger! I could get lost with all the recipes and ideas on this site...I have a feeling it will keep me busy! I think I need to advance my skills to hang with the ties on here!

Kdog

One of these days you are gonna forget you dropped a jig on the floor and impale your big toe.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice natural ties and the full marabou tails should hold up through plenty of fish. :cool:

Welcome to the site!

A hook in the toe does hurt........ but it hurts much much more when it goes in the toe of your wife. Just trust me on that one. :beat-up:

hookup

AtticaFish said:
but it hurts much much more when it goes in the toe of your wife. Just trust me on that one.

owch

My wife sews allot and I find her pins in the carpet when I walk around bare footed. Being a CA boy, I walk around barefooted allot. And she yells at me when I start cussing when a pin goes 1/2 way through my foot.

Radtexan

AtticaFish said:
but it hurts much much more when it goes in the toe of your wife. Just trust me on that one.
I've seen that first hand too. Y'all might remember at one time my 3rd bedroom was my tying room/mancave. I think her getting stuck the last time was the final straw when I ended up tying in the garage a while back.

Bucko

Welcome from Wisconsin! Looks like you have a good handle on this already!

Attica, I know that all to well. I flinched around her for a week after that. She caught a 4/0 gami in her foot. I was at the store when it happened and she made me leave a cart of groceries and fly home. I told her that the store wouldn't be very happy with me for leaving a cart like that. She said "what's worse, them being mad at you or me?" It didn't take long to contemplate that. I also shop at a different store in fear of being recognized... I now periodically sweep a magnet through the garage.

plateboater

Nice ties......would have been more concerned if the nails had fancy polish on them!!!!!

LedHed

Sponsor
Hola Ta & welcome from SoCal
Looks like you have pretty much thought-out what you wanted - and your execution is great. Krystal flash in the tail can't hurt...
Excellent tyes.

Back