Trout Jerky

Bucho

Ever since I tried some Namibian "Biltong" dried meat this summer I have developed a bit of a taste for dry stuff. Ordered several fish jerky variants but the only one I really liked was salmon, which is somewhat close to sea trout which again I happen to have on hands once in a while. I tried that in the oven but since I prefer the raw biltong dried meat over the cooked Jerky style, I presented myself with a dehydrator for christmas.

I gave it a go with a salmon jerky marinate recepy from youtube and 35°C for about 8h. Yummie!
34650050qx.jpg

34650050qx.jpg

34678525ka.jpg

34678526rq.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like an excellent gift for yourself and the end result looks amazing! I've made catfish jerky by accident before, letting my smoker outside get a little too hot. It was actually quite tasty.

Jig Man

Looks awesome... I haven't tried fish yet, but now I might, I do make a lot of jerky from venison. A little smoke first then into the dehydrator. You can also dry fruit, nearly always have some in the boat, or my back pack...

View attachment 9

Attachments

• IMG_0476 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0476 (640x480).jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 0

duffy

Fellow here did some salmon by accident and it actually turned out pretty good. His was in a smoker and it didn't get too hot, just dehydrated it. Being's salmon is oily it didn't get crispy just nice and chewy. I think he just used Morton's sugar cure and that was it.

Bucho

Jig Man said:
... A little smoke first then into the dehydrator....

Wonder how it works the other way round. I have only a regular bbq set for cold smoking. Drying the stripes first would make it easier to put them on the grid without sticking or dropping through. I don`t trust hooks with thin fish stripes.

Back