trinity tube concept

Bucho

Inspired by this so called "kabura" snapper jig, I started thinking about a universal tube platform for a large hairbait that can be combined with a variety of leadball heads. This one is a 3 oz earball mold that has been modified to hold a large pin and flatened to accept large stick on eyes.

22351623gk.jpg

This is the basis: tube, head and loop. Optional spinner blade.

22351624lx.jpg

Future options include a "kona" style resin head with a more or less heavy lead- or even a float insert for topwater pike fishing, similar to the successfull westin monster fly. The idea is to first create a lure with a certain size and shape and then leave it up to the user to adapt head, pike wire etc. depending on its use in deep salt or shallow weedy fresh water or whatever. Kinda like a plastic grub. First field testing at light wreck fishing for cod showed a good productivity with a very good hook-up rate. Dropping it into the drift works best, but casting is also an option with an acceptable rate of about 1 tangle in 10 casts.

Bucho

This one I made for halibut and specimen atlantic cod up in norway. For open water northern pike I´d rather go with a lighter color and a smaller head.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Love the concept! Having the weights in different sizes would make for quick and easy adjustments for depth. That should get some attention. What is the hair, rabbit?

Pup

I like it, with the exception of the tube length as seen in these photos.

Largemouth bass like action which is something I don't associate with a body akin to a soda straw. The fur is fine btw.

Bucho

The hair is 6mm rabbit, don´t know the brand. despite the costs I buy it pre-cut because it has extraordinary density and volume, more than twice the regular stuff, almost like fox but better value and availablility.

Pup, I just grabbed some leftover tube for demonstration. You can vary body to tail ratio depending on the pattern you have in mind. You can substitute with bucktal, schlappen etc.

A floating resin head would need a stopper gum to hold everything in place, but a lead head with the holes in the right angle makes for a perfectly horizontal presentation. The hooks dangle down but thats usually the direction where the fish comes from. Free, bare single hooks balance shank down tip up so you don´t have too many snags.

I am also thinking about a buoyant head paired with a bullit-, a walker lead or a bottom bouncer, like a carolina rig. That would make for a neat, snagless presentation in the deepest corners of a river. Huchen anglers here would be very fond of that. One tube, many possible deployments.

Back