Todays Pouring Session

SaltyBuckster

I started off with a plan to get rid of all of my colored little sickle hooks.Red size 10 and gold size 8s.Got the 10's done in a 1/80 oz. but the 8's keep multiplying,lol.I want to get down to all bronze sickles.I graduated to boxes of 1000.I poured the size 8 golds in a 1/64 oz. jighead.There is still a lot of them though.When the sprue pile is 5x's what the jig pile is it gets frustrating.I had to throw in some 3/8 oz. and 1/2 oz. shad heads with a box of Mustad hooks that Frank gave me to calm me down.
DSC09782.jpg

DSC09785.jpg

toadfrog

That's ma bud . Hey have you noticed the new do-it molds giving flash . I've ordered several new molds lately and I'm getting flash . Not a lot but some ,enough to file . Remembered I had an old mold same style with a blue handle . Poured that got no flash . So I picked another blue combo that had heads in it like a new one I got . No real flash , new one has flash . I ordered them from different stores . The molds you have are new as well . Are they giving you flash anywhere . By the way I can pin those shad heads for recessed eyes for you .

BucktailJiger

Bruce what are the jigs in the lower right ? Never mind I put my glasses on :beat-up:

SaltyBuckster

toadfrog said:
That's ma bud . Hey have you noticed the new do-it molds giving flash . I've ordered several new molds lately and I'm getting flash . Not a lot but some ,enough to file . Remembered I had an old mold same style with a blue handle . Poured that got no flash . So I picked another blue combo that had heads in it like a new one I got . No real flash , new one has flash . I ordered them from different stores . The molds you have are new as well . Are they giving you flash anywhere . By the way I can pin those shad heads for recessed eyes for you .
This new mold that I got has a little flash as you can see in the piles of jigs.Just the 1/80 and 1/64 oz. the others are all good.But you can only pour one at a time.I had to run the file on every one of them jigs.Just a swipe,but still had to do it.The jigs on the bottom right are 1/80 red sickles,1/64 gold sickles and the bigger ones are 3/8 and 1/2 oz. shadheads for my Gulp in the saltwater.NO ON THE EYES,lol.I hate putting on eyes.

SaltyBuckster

Because I got a deal on some boxes of 1000 bronze sickles.They fit into the mold so much better..There have been guys that wanted dozens of jigs and sometimes I had a mixture of hook colors for some reason they did'nt like it.So,figured I would just keep everything easy and only keep 1 hook in supply.If they want other hooks they can ask and I will be able to make them happy,lol.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me it also helps keep over head costs down. Like you said can always pour some with different hooks upon request.

blt

One rig I do uses #6 Kahle hooks for Croaker and Spot. They are bronze, and a lot of people like that. While they are pretty much a "throw away" rig from saltwater, some like that because if you loose one to a gut hook, they will rust and fish will loose it faster. Myself, I like gold hooks.

I use bronze also for 1/8 and 1/4 oz. bullet heads also.

In the over all scheme of things, the cost per hook from bronze, stainless and gold are not really that much if you get them in bulk.

Back