Tiger Musky

smalljaw

ragged edge said:
Thanks smalljaw! What I noticed, is that these fish chase bait fish at a 45 degree angle on their side with their head out of water. Same there? It took me about 5 minutes to get him in as I was using only 4lb line and no leader. Never had a need for steel leader or heavier line fishing for crapie.

Oh yes, in shallow water they look like alligators when they are going to hit something and that 45 degree angle is pretty much the norm. Most of the tigers and regular muskies under 40 inches usually thrash a bit but aren't much trouble to land, but once they hit 40 they begin to grow in thickness, and to give you a little example on the difference I gaught a muskie that was 35.5" and it weighed a little over 8lb, my buddy caught a nice one at 42 inches and it was a hair over 22lb. But once they get some girth then look out, my buddy caught his 42 inch musky with a 6'6" medium power spinning rod with 8lb mono, he fought it in slow current in the river for over 20 minutes, it jumped out of the water so high it's whole body cleared the surface, it looked like a tarpon in fresh water! They are fun to catch but when fishing for smaller species they get to be a pain as they normally will either bite through your line or just break you off and if you ever get one over 40 that is thick just hold on and enjoy the ride!!! But even the shorter fish are striking in appearance, and as I said before, your tiger is one of the nicest I ever saw, the markings are clear and well defined. BTEW, here is a pic of my friends musky, this is a regular musky.

2008-04-250112.jpg

Back