Thread Colors

duffy

Just wondered how many colors of thread everyone keeps on hand? Do you just have the basics of blk, white, red, pink, orange and brown or do you try and match what your tying? I've pretty much decided on my sizes of 140 and 210 but it seems like when I'm trying to come up with something different I either don't have the right color material or thread to sort of match. Or am I over thinking this and it doesn't really matter.  :-/ I guess if it's hidden, any color would work but just thought I'd get some input.

Jig Man

I have a bunch of thread to match, 140 and 210 are good sizes. If you don't want to go to that extreme, go with mono. It purdy much goes with anything...

Pup

I think that if tying a thread-bodied style of jig, a la LedHed, that a variety of colors would be handy.

Thread color isn't critical to most of my ties.

hookup

I have the basics for bass

Black, White, Red, Brown, and Olive

I think I have purple too for one pattern I tried out, but can't remember it's been so long since I tied it

I have also been known to raid the wife's sewing machine thread box but get yelled at for that

Jay Wirth

I have a bunch of colors but typically use red for the collar. For pike & walleye fishermen have asked for red collars thinking it looks like gills. Colors where red would not look good (orange head & hair come to mind) I use a complement color Like a dark orange or contrast color like black. Just to show there are no rules yesterday I tied up some orange heads with orange hair but the heads had an odd green eye. I used green thread for the collar and they look good.

AllenOK

I tie both flies and jigs. I have no earthly idea how many colors of thread I have. I like to keep both 8/0 and 6/0, or 70-denier and 140-denier, of the basic colors I use. I do have some 3/0 and 210-denier in a couple colors. I also have some kevlar thread in three colors, one or two colors of Gudebrod 12/0, a spool of 10/0 and a spool of 16/0 both in black, from some other company.

I need some 140-denier chartreuse. I ran out at the tail end of the big order I did a couple months ago. Luckily I had some 70-denier to finish it out.

I probably use Chartreuse, Fl. Pink, Black, Red, and Olive the most, and pretty much in that order.

bucktail

I mainly tye 210 and 140
colors are matched with jig head color for my panfish style jigs
as far as walleye jigs red and black and sometimes fl orange is used

duffy

Wow Allen, 16/0? I would think just the weight of the bobbin would break that stuff and it's probably hard to see also.

Back