This Is Nice !!!!

crappiecripplerjigs

We used to purchase blanks from Wild River Dist. Now they are all but shut down. Any good blank suppliers out there for UL rods? We were buying St. Croix blanks for around $35. Can't find them anymore for under $65.

LRB

crappiecripplerjigs said:
We used to purchase blanks from Wild River Dist. Now they are all but shut down. Any good blank suppliers out there for UL rods? We were buying St. Croix blanks for around $35. Can't find them anymore for under $65.

You might try..CUI Products in Tulsa OK...I've been buying their blanks for about seven years...they have both foreign and USA made blanks...
Or you ought to go to the St.Croix outlet store( ParkFalls, WI)...many , many bargains up there..

ML~~

baitmaster

CCJ,
I have always had a great relationship with Mudhole.com in Florida. I used to buy from Merrck Tackle in NY, but they are mainly for saltwater. Once I got turned on to UL, Mudhole has always been there for me.

crappiecripplerjigs

I appreciate the info. I have done some business with Mudhole. They are a good choice. I'll check out the others as well. Thanks!

LRB

I appreciate the info. I have done some business with Mudhole. They are a good choice. I'll check out the others as well. Thanks!

I have also dealt with MudHole....and no problems...

MaryLou~~

LRB

Doc Crappie said:
LRB said:

I have also dealt with MudHole....and no problems...

MaryLou~~

LRB

Was wondering you have some pics of some of your master pieces would be interested in seeing some. Just had a custom 3/4 weight 3 section fly rod build, just waiting on the reel to arrive to put it too the test, but would be interested in some medium light spinning rods for some serious crappie fishing. Would also like to see some of your work for I am always amazed at the workmanship when it comes to custom rods.

Actually I would like to see some from all you rod builders, I think custom rods are the way to go when it comes to meeting certain fishing styles

DC.....
Check out my website...www.crosstimberscustomrods.com.....I just had a client catch a 1.8oz crappie on Lake Granbury....on a 9 ft.2pc..light crappie rod....he said the more he uses it the better he likes it !!:)

MaryLou~~

CK3

Hey, glad to see some posts on this thread! Rod building is almost as
limitless as jig making, with many choices of material, prices, lengths
and etc. MaryLou does build some amazing rods and is a good source of
info if you need it! Keep those questions coming and we'll try to answer
them.

papaperch

For you rodbuilders that like ultraweight rods. Try building a spinning rod on a fly rod blank. I did this on a 6'-6" 2 weight rainshadow fly rod blank. It has become my favorite fishing rod. I have landed several large fish on it ( mostly big channel cats :-( )

I cork rings to make a tennesee handle with no rings. Used heat shrink tape to mount Okuma Avion 10 reel to rod. Sensitivity is unreal and slightest difference in weight or tap tap of a hit can be immediately felt. Probably immodest of me to say so but its the best panfish rod I have ever used. Lure weight limited to about 1/16 of an oz. Any bigger and it kinda deadens the " feel " a little. Usually like to tie 2 --1/32oz jigs on for starters with this outfit.

Some of my fishing compratriots refer to it as the spaghetti rod or the wet noodle. I call it the Producer.

CK3

I have a rod very similar to what you have there. I built it using an
old Fenwick sp721 blank. It's an absolute honey to fish with.
I call it my "honey rod". I too have caught some very big fish on
it using 4lb Trilene XL and it never failed me. Fellas, don't underestimate the strength of a so called Ultralight, they can pull in some mighty big fish!!!! You just have to be patient and not force them in.

JUNGLEJIM1

I've built only two rods so have little knowledge other than it took weeks of working on them to build.I've had a couple rods using fly rod blanks that are spinning rods. One is an 8'6 6wt and the other a 9' 3wt. Man are these some killer crappie rods,but I've caught smallies to 21 inches with the 6wt. I had these rods custom made by someone else. When I make up my mind what I want next I'll be giving someone on here a call. I'll be checking out your site Mary Lou. See what kind of exotics you got on there.

Jubs

Some year I will build my own rod, its definitely on my list of things to do I just don't have the space for it currently not to mention the knowledge!

Jubs

Thank you Doc that is very kind of you and am flattered! One thing about me, which I can't decide is a good or bad thing, is if I take an interest in something I have to go all out and figure it out and everything about it. With this stuff its never ending so I'm here to stay as long as I am able as there will never be a time I quit learning about this hobby. Luckily for me fishing has been a part of my life since as far as I can remember so I can justify spending money on it. I have moved to this tackle making thing in the last year or so I figure next step is rods and pouring my own head and weights space isn't permitting right now which is likely a good thing for the checking account! I have a problem and I can admit it! I can think of several worse habits to have though, it keeps me out of trouble!

CK3

Jubs.....I'm kinda the same way with things, I tend to go 110% or nothing. I'm not happy unless I have all the material and the ability
to finish the task. It has caused me grief over the years, but it's the only way I know:-/

Doc....I saw a cartoon one time I've never forgot pertaining to what you said!! The cartoon showed an Olympic stand with three guys on it.
The 1rst place guy was a big guy holding a big trophy, the second place guy was a little lower, still holding a nice trophy that said 2nd place.
On the lowest stand there was a little guy holding a small trophy that
said "nice guy"!! I think that sums it up!!

Back