Thin Skin Material

duffy

Having tried the Wapsi thin skin and really wasn't impressed especially with the $$ I searched around a bit. Plastic bags weren't the right texture and didn't really stretch right plus finding a consistent piece of plastic from containers was a pain. Was walking through Wally World and saw the clear vinyl covering on rolls, you know the stuff your mom covered the couch with.  :)  They have three thicknesses to choose from, a thin in a green wrapper which is right at .002, a medium that I didn't measure but feels like about .004-.006 and the heavy that's probably around .010 or better while Thin Skin is .005.  The thin will stretch and if you want a pattern on it it's easy to just spray paint the back with what ever you want. I just wiped it down with some alcohol and spray painted one side to get a spotted pattern.  I tried it on some shrimp bodies and it works just fine, plus a whole yard was $1.47.

duffy

I was in the city today and stopped by Wally's to check out the medium vinyl. They had a small chunk so I picked it up to measure it and it was .010. Much thicker than I thought it would/should be. I sort of wondered if they had mis-marked it in the remnant pile. I stopped by JoAnnes and they had several thicknesses but they were marked by Gauge which was all wrong to my thinking as they were 4 gauge to 20 and by my "wire & metal" gauge weren't right. A 4 gauge is over 1/4" thick!  I think the 4g at Joann's should be around .004 which would be close to the thin skin. I wish all these outfit's would standardize everything!! Anyway I guess I need to take my mic with me next time I go shopping. :rolleyes:

Back