The one that got away!

crappiecripplerjigs

View attachment 2Tried my hand at catching the elusive trophy rainbow yesterday. I spotted him from a bluff and carefully made my way to the waters edge pausing for a few moments as not to spook this guy. 2nd cast fooled him and he hit with authority! I managed to play him for about 5-7 minutes before my tippet gave out. Guessing 20"+?? What a fighter!!:D

Attachments

• roaringriver 012.jpg
    roaringriver 012.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 88

ScottV

Good Lord Man! He's a doosie! Sorry he got off but you did have some fun with him. I wish we had trout in our part of the country. Thanks for sharing!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
You got a very cool picture, good fight/play time and the adreniline (sp?) of the stalking.... can't ask for much more. MAN! Love that picture!

What was your fly?

crappiecripplerjigs

This was at Crane Creek not too far from Table Rock lake. I was using a poor example of a Renegade fly (tied by me), on a #14 hook. These are about the only flies I can tie. Fairly simple with a peacock herl body, light hackle at the head and a few dark wraps of hackle at the rear. They're also loved by bluegill and goggle eye in the streams. I will continue stalking this fish...:rolleyes: Very uncommon for a fish this size to be in Crane Creek. At least the parts that you don't have to hike over a mile to reach. This section is well off the beaten path and the ticks say hello!

ScottV

I wish we had trout in our part of the country. That's ok I guess, the crappie and bluegill keep me satified. Good luck with that big one. Keep us posted.

crappiecripplerjigs

I would rather catch the gills and crappie anyday for eating. I don't eat the trout. Fun to catch those persnickety things once in awhile though. Kind of at a crossroads with a big trout. A fish this size has been in the creek and grown old for a few years now. Wonder if it had been caught and released before? If I had landed it, I'm thinking a picture or two and return it to the creek, or show it off and keep it????

Back