The best vises

Fatman

YEah but these guys are pretty well known and I'm sorry they lean towards bigger companies IMO. I like the fly fish Ohio vise report better.

plateboater

Read the article and upgraded this year after going to shop to play. Went with Dyna-King. Also poured a lead cup-cake and lay that on top of base. I pull hard!

Pup

Thank you for the article LedHed. I agree that it's incomplete.

What I find most interesting is that the experts neglect or omit discussion of vise uses for anything other than hooks.

redear

plateboater, I pull so hard at times that a c clamp works loose constantly, so I made a mount from hard maple and screwed it to my bench, it has a hole for the vice rod to fit in, and I have a way of tightening or loosening the grip on the rod. this was the best thing I ever did, but you would have to have a designated bench to do this, because it is screwed to the bench.

LedHed

Sponsor
A lot of reviews are slanted and are written around fly tying. Granted that jig tying is a "sub form" (like the red headed step child) of fly tying and the majority of tools and materials are derived from fly tying. I would like to see reviews of tools and materials geared toward jig tying only.

jig-guy

LedHed said:
A lot of reviews are slanted and are written around fly tying. Granted that jig tying is a "sub form" (like the red headed step child) of fly tying and the majority of tools and materials are derived from fly tying. I would like to see reviews of tools and materials geared toward jig tying only.

Me too!
I would purchase a new vice but do not know what is the the best for what I do. What brand & model number do you folks like and why?

toadfrog

Good article to keep up on new vises . Being a cheep skate , stingy , frugal , what ever you want to call me . Think I'll just stick to my old 50 year old Thompson vises . Look like crap tied more lures than an army of 10 year olds can hang in a tree . I'm good .

Fatman

I went from a Herters #9 (Thompson knock off) to a real Thompson A and love tying on it, but when I bought my new vise I went with the Dyna-King Kingfisher (Non-rotary), solid vise and I tie everything on it.

Lot of folks are buying the Peak rotary that goes for around $150, the guys here on the site can tell you everything you want to know about this vise!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely agree with Led on the vise article being slanted!!!!!!! These guys are tying on $500 dollar vises which MANY of them don't even pay for!!! so yeah their view are going towards the companies handing them freebies!!!

hookup

Good article & agree w/ the consensus - many good ones are missing.

For my type of tying (1/0-4/0 sized jigs) their 'worlds best' lacks muscle.

I'm happy with the vices from Anvil.

redman

I am going to throw in with the ToadFrog. My old Thompson A will do anything that I want it to. I know that a lot of guys have the newer better??? vices. Its not the tools that make the tyer its the man behind the vice. The peeps that wrote the piece are pros and exhibition tyers . Give them a pin vice and they would out tie most of us. Technique is every thing tools are just tools. they only make the job easier.

Redman

redear

I agree with redman, a good tyer can use a rudimentary vice and tie beautiful stuff. I tied for 30 years on a thompson until the jaw surfaces became too worn to hold a hook well.

Fatman

Hey redear - if you still have that vise you can get a set of replacement jaws from Adventure Corporation their email is: [email protected]

Last phone and fax: PH: 815.713.3222 FAX: 815.713.3266

prices are pretty good!!!!!!!! My wifes school bought a bunch of broken ones and they got the parts from there for the schools fishing club.

Back