That time again!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
After a week with little rain and very warm temps, my river is low enough to get out and find some fish! I hit it at lunch today.... got a couple dink smallies that didn't want their pic taken - quick release right at my hand :dodgy: - and a fun hard pulling cat. Almost can't wait to get back to work on monday if that doesn't sound odd!!!

101_2998_e.jpg

Hardware for the afternoon was an HU jig with gray craft fur / black baitfish emulator tied under (the HU's caught both of the SMB) and 2 different bunny jigs using my own split shot heads and aberdeen hooks. With the river still muddied up, darker colors are my choice...

101_2996_e.jpg

101_2997_e.jpg

Didn't take a good close-up pic of the jig that caught the cat other than in his lip, but it was a pretty simple design. Black/green sparkle head, black/green tinsel chenille and dark olive zonker.

Say cheese!!!!

101_3001_e.jpg

Pup

AF,

I really like all of your ties, but that gray-over-black craft fur jig is a real deal. Very edible-looking upon retrieve I'd think. :icon14:

My last time out, I caught very few fish. However, the nicest of the ones I landed was an 18-in. channel cat caught on...a gray craft fur jig. ;)

toadfrog

Haven't seen that style of head in a while . Sure wish I had a mold for that. I agree dark colors in dark water. The common belief around here is catfish bite on yellow only . You just proved that wrong.

JUNGLEJIM1

That spot looks familiar,perhaps a foot or so higher than other photos. The channels aren't scared of current for sure. I've caught them on about every bait there is,including a buzz bait at night. They sure fight well in the current.

Uncle Grump

I popped a couple of Kittys yesterday on a 1/8 oz ball jig w/ 2" Gulp twister tails (chartruese). Was working a hard bottomed area looking for walleyes. The hit's were the sensation of dead weight - but them things pulled quite well when I set the hook.

The little one went 16.5", the 2nd - bigger one - went 23".

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
My river sounds about like yours Junglejim - After a Friday evening thunderstorm with heavy rain, it is blown out again so far this week but it is getting close to what i deem fishable. The picture is a favorite spot of mine, one that has a hole that i can reach from shore without getting out the waders... that step down runs across the whole width of the river here and creates some deeper holes. Also catches the big rocks from flooding times so no telling how many jigs i have lost over the years in just this one hole! :dodgy:

Pup - the gray/black jig was actually inspired by your brown/orange ones you posted recently. I had never thought to do a 2-tone jig in that way, i have always done them 2-tone top to bottom. It does look killer once it gets wet!!! The 'under' color shows through much better once it is wet. Have you ever used the baitfish emulator from Hareline? Pretty cool stuf - i got some in a swap and love it - guessing you might like it as well. Need to get me some more! :D

Toadfrog - if you are talking about the head on the 2nd jig i have pictured.... you don't need any mold. It is a splitshot head crimped and shaped on to a bent eye aberdeen hook. ;) I did squeeze it in a bench vise to flatten the sides a little also to let me paint eyes a little easier.

Uncle Grump - 23" - wow, that had to be a ride! Was a similar hookset with this one.... i felt the lightest bump and then thought i was actualy hung on a rock - then the rock started to move up stream. :)

Thanks all - can't wait for the river to drop and get back at it.

Back