Thankyou Jigcraft.com

Mack

I just wanted to thank the people that made this forum. I searched everywhere for info on jig tying/more or less pictures of work so i could get ideas and couldn't find much on google. This place is great.

:jig: Mack

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That 'Thank You' is spread out to ALL the members of JC - the site would not be the same with out all the experience and willingness to share from the members here.

Makes me wonder what our total combined tying and fishing experience is here at JC???

Rollcall: Post your time dedicated to this fine sport/addicition!

In the 33 years that i have been breathing...
Fished for: ~28 yrs.
Tied flies/jigs for: ~20 yrs.

CrappieHappy

I'm pushing 40 quickly,I have been fishing for about 35 years started fishing with grandpa at 4, i started tying jigs in December, 2010

Radtexan

Ill hit the big 50 in a couple of months and been fishing since I could walk.

My company move me to Albuquerque,NM in "84" and when we pulled in our driveway for the first time with the moving van,there was a little old man in the street practicing his fly casting......I knew I had found a great neighborhood !!

Within a few days of my arrival,we were at his bench, tying flies.I learned on dry's and nymphs in the size 20-24 range.. (didnt seem that hard back then,but dont think I could even put a 24 in the vise anymore.... ;) Learned alot from Mr Fowler, fishing, tying and life....
Turn's out he was somewhat of a local legend in flyfishing..Knew several big time flyfishing folks (not to name drop, but I did spend a weekend with Doug Swisher on our home river..and several other memorable trips in the 6 years I was out there..

Moved back to Texas in the early 90's ,and hadnt even thought about tying anything for 10 years till i got a pm from Sandwich Maker on the Texas forum.Just asked if I would be interested in a few hand tied jigs...We lived fairly close,but he didnt know me from Adam.
Few days later I had a pack in the mail of some of the most impressive creations Ive ever seen,and a bunch of them....

I cant tell you how much that gift meant to me,but I knew right then I wanted to be part of it and to share with others what he had done for me.

softworm

Been fishing for as long as I can remember. Been tying jigs and pouring plastic for around 20 or more. Man how time flies. I started tying kiptails for crappie and evolved from there.

papaperch

Grandpa Hays built an extra seat on his fishing platform the day I was born. 3 years later I was perched in it using a canepole. Started tying simple bucktails and marabous back in my early twenties.

Started to get artistic with everything when I joined CDC. Now I got to try every new material ,tool or solution that somebody comes out with. Never satisfied with my own creations. Always looking to improve and am constantly amazed at the creativity and talent shown on this site.

At 63 I can't say I learn something new every day but I can say that I will never quit learning.

upnort16

I was born into fishing. My grandpa was a fishing guide in north central MN. and a resort owner. My mother worked at the resort when I was born. The year I was born was when my grandpa bought his first aluminum boat (previous were handmade cedar and canvas) and I still have and cherish it. Mostly out of being frugal, as long as I can remember grandpa was making and or repairing fishing equipment, baits, plugs, bobbers etc. I truthfully had some knowledge but didn't really start pouring lead, painting and tying until about early 90's. The disease spread rapidly from there, from a hilt mold, to more supplies than I can count! Even dabbling in mold making and so many plastics I could lose one every cast and still never run out. I learn constantly and have a soft spot for the older lures. Oh by the way, I was born in 1961.

LedHed

Sponsor
Started freshwater fishing & rod crafting late @ 21. Jig and fly tying, out of necessity, in the late 70’s – so been doing it for 30 + years. Lead pouring ~25 years, powder painting ~11 years.

Rt – “spend a weekend with Doug Swisher” – WOW, I am very impressed.

moswampy

I cannot remember a time in my 37 years I did not fish. bought my first boat when I was 8 from mowing yards so I could get around a mossy lake easier. Started pouring and tying bass jigs when I was in my late teens. contiued to pour sinkers and horse heads to troll with along with jig heads to put plastic on. discovered powder paint about 10 years ago. Started tying crappie jigs about two years ago. jig swaps and photos have helped a pile.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Well... with my rough (poor) math, we are up over 150yrs. of experience in jig/fly tying alone and that is with-out a bunch of members posting, i bet we could double that number easy from some of the conservations i have seen and had with other members that i don't see posts from here! i didn't even try the math on the fishing time! :D

RadT's story makes me jealous - i have never had the opportunity to sit down and tie across the bench from anyone other than a youtube video or cast a FR when anyone who knew what they were doing. I am a true HACK. I started out on a garage sale find that had the tools and some materials. I learned tying basics from a single 30 page or so book... my tying bible. :p I tied mostly jigs originaly because i had no fly rod and was always attempting to put fly patterns onto jig heads. Created odd-ball creatures (that caught fish!) until about 6-8 yrs ago when i finally got decent internet out here in the-middle-of-no-where and started to get fancy.

SaltyBuckster

To tell you the truth,I have been fishing for 47 of my 49 years of my life.My uncle fly fished,so I always had a fly rod.Figured I would make it better and put a Diawa spinning reel on it for the river and the smallmouth bass.Been reading this post and it brought me way back to a time that I made a jig for the river,that I had forgotten about.Here it is,my very first jig,just a little better.We did'nt have chenille back then in the 70's,and the bucktail was only white.lol.Had some grey thread wrapped around the slip sinker for a body on a 1/0 hook.I had to make one and see if it still worked.I remember standing on an island with my longtime fishing buddy at age 12 and pulling in a 36" Musky with some 6 year old 6 lb. test.My buddy jumped into the rapids to throw it onto the island.8' fly rod, Diawa spinning reel with some old 6 lb. test Stren.And this ugley contraption of a jig.Been tying for about 6 years now.

Jiggin Joe

I am 43 and honestly I probly started fishing at 14 i went s time or 2 before that but pretty much taught myself at the river by my house. I didnt start tying tell about 5 years ago when i found a guy selling a kick butt jig that just killed the crappies but after paying $15 for 5 of them with shipping I was like hell with this i can make these so i searched the internet found the supplies and with the help of a couple forums and the guy i bought the jigs from I was tying in no time. now I wont fish with anything I didnt make (except jig swap jigs of course) and it has made my time fishing even more enjoyable. I remeber the 1st swap I won a prize in it was crazyanglers swap and I won a mold for shooting plastic baits Len got 1st :) well taht started me in making plastics then I said why not pour my own heads so got all the stuff and started doing that to. Next i started a site and it took off more then i wanted i think lol so took it offline and have been on break last 6 months but now im back and ready to get at it hard again (without my site) will still do stuff for people if they need it but mostly just for what I wanted it to be in begining FUN!!

ScottV

I'm 54 and I've fished and hunted all my life. I started tying about a year ago and I've gone completely nuts about it.

quivira kid

I'm 26 years old now... Been fishing for about 7 or 8 years, took up fly fishing about 5 years ago. Started tying flies at the same time "to save a little money" and give me a hobby. The jig tying got started about a year ago.

Sac-Lait-Pat

Hey impressive I am 47 will be 48 in Aug I used to look at feild and stream magizines as a kid , my mom would sew a lot of clothes I would bend needles and make hooks and tie different threads on them and catch all speices of sunfish and a bass occasionally I was about 7-8 so I been doing this off and on from then hot on it for a couple years and cold , however:
100_1233.jpg
100_1239.jpg
100_1240.jpg
Thank's to all on here I look and get pumped up to be creative again from time to time.

Back