Temporary blocking of collars in jig molds

Kdog

Decided to start a new thread.

Many of my molds cast with collars bars etc... I know it is fairly easy to cut them off after casting and have tried a lot of things to blobk them off so I did nott have to mess with clipping collars.  Having said that I have tried the foilowing with success but each has drawbacks.  Really curious as to what others have tried and any pros and cons you can think of.

= Hi temp silicone caulk,  works, is hard to remove and needs to cure overnight before casting. It a bit tough to remove
= Plaster of Paris, works, easy to apply, easy to remove. best to air cure over night before casting. Soak  in water to remove
= Plumbers Putty, fast, does not last very long, easy to remove as it stays soft 
= Bondo, fast, works well, needs care to remove and usually some dremel action. Realistically would call this semi permanent as it stays until you remove it

duffy

I was looking into some small silicone tubing that you you slip over the hook shanks and then just slide off and re-use.  So far haven't found anything small enough yet but haven't had time to look at the Small Parts book that has all kinds of micro goodies in it. I do have some micro fuel line but just haven't had a chance to try it yet. Even a small paper disk that would block the collar may even work.

hookup

Duffy, try the rubber tubing that holds skirts onto spinnerbaits & jigs.

Kd - I use plumbers buddy now

QPassage

I haven't tried it but, i bet a small wooden dowel rod with a hole drilled in it then cut to length and split with a small chisel might do the trick. Possibly cork it would have some give to it, maybe drill a big enough hole and you might be able to slide cork over the hook Cork might be the answer and just cut it off with scissors.

Kdog

dang, trying to avoid cutting off after casting. Have done jb weld and silicone caulk, both are removable with a bit of micro torch action but it is a bit time consuming. Clipping the colars works but takes time.

The cork is an interesting idea

Jay Wirth

If you want a permanent fix drill straight through both sides of the mold right where the hook shank enters the head and insert a steel or aluminum pin. cut down the center of the pin to allow the hook shank to be aligned. The pin is attached only on one end so you can open the mold

Back