Tasty trouties

Shoemoo

I normally don't keep trout, but these were caught on (gasp) cut bait and managed to swallow the hook too badly to save. I was using a double hook rig, and the big one managed to swallow BOTH hooks. Big one is 22", small is 17".

IMAG0078_1.jpg

Got the catching and cleaning done, now just got to do the cooking. Not on that cookie sheet, though. Burned it up when I left it in the oven after baking a pie. Now it just serves to clean fish on. :)

Bucho

Nice rainbows!

Wanna talk a little about that cutbait? never heard of it being used as trout bait. I sure like the reesult! We just had a storm that smashed several fish farm cages up in boardering Denmark, releasing over 600 tons of rainbows into the baltic sea, mostly in the 3-5kg(!) range. So every new idea is welcome!
We owe it to nature to remove those intrusive species, u know... :D

Shoemoo

I'd never heard of using it for trout before I moved out here a couple of years ago, but it makes sense. Rainbows trout come from the northwest coast of the US. They've been introduced all over the world, but that's where all of the stocked fish originated. There are runs of Pacific salmon throughout their range, and when the salmon die the flesh sloughs off as it decomposes. It's a great source of protein and calories, so the fish are genetically programmed to eat it, even if there are no salmon nearby. A ball of flesh waving gently in the current near the bottom can be very effective. Flesh flies are made to mimic this.

I used a local fish called a pikeminnow, but I've also caught them on yellow perch and sucker meat. I suspect any oily fish would do the trick. I used a piece about the size of a US dime on a #4 hook on a double dropper loop bottom rig. If C&R is your preference, be aware they will swallow it if you let them play with it too long.

Bucho

Thanks for sharing! Not much of a surch tactic for the baltic sea, but I apreciate the info. Its definetly something to remember for river fishing, maybe even for stocked fish in ponds. They are being fed fish meal after all.

Shoemoo

I was fishing from shore targeting trout and perch. I also caught two smaller trout between 15" and 16" that I released. No perch this time, though. This is a higher elevation reservoir with very clear water, known for producing BIG trout and perch. The trout cruise along the shoreline pretty close in this spot.

It freezes over in the winter, and the ice gets thick enough that people can ice fish. It's about a two hour drive up windy roads, but the results are usually worth the trip, especially if you can stay a few days.

Badgerloader

Bucho said:
Nice rainbows!

Wanna talk a little about that cutbait? never heard of it being used as trout bait. I sure like the reesult! We just had a storm that smashed several fish farm cages up in boardering Denmark, releasing over 600 tons of rainbows into the baltic sea, mostly in the 3-5kg(!) range. So every new idea is welcome!
We owe it to nature to remove those intrusive species, u know... :D

The tail off a club (with a little meat) is a great trout bait. I use a size 2 or 4 Aberdeen hook. Fillets off the side of the chub also are excellent. I have caught Browns, rainbows (including steelhead) and brookies this way. We call it "chunk-o-meat" bait.

Kdog

Looks Tasty! If fish are hungry, food is food. Most fish will eat about anything if the time is right. I always check the gut to find out what they eat and have found everything from nuts and bolts to acorns. Many years ago, my dad caught a SM that had a really nice engagement ring. ( Mom of course found the owner by running adds in the local lost and found section of newspaper. Two lessons learned on that one! First if its shiny, fish will hit it. second, do not wear rings while swimming.

QPassage

OH, MAN, a slice of bacon, a slice of apple and a big ole glob of butter, roll it in foil on hot coals and those babies are so good!

Back