Tarpon Jig Hooks

Bucho

Hi,
in the wake of those peacock jigs, I am enjoying rising request for tropical stuff from travellers. Now a customer asked for tarpon jigs. Its a simple tie but from what I´ve heard they are not easy to hook to say the least.

The guy referred to "Owner saltwater xxx strong roundhead" hooks. Couldn`t find an equivalent on Barlows so I would like to know if anyone has a good source or alternative.

I have to say I got along well with large 32833NP-BN Mustads so far but was a bit intimidated when he started talking about 200lbs fish making 800yrd runs etc. Destination is Mexico, low pressure, big specimen, serious business.

Kdog

I did a couple dozen for a buddy last year and the hooks are heavy. Plenty sharp and very costly. If memory serves me correctly 50 were around 75.00. His biffest tarpon was 60 pounds but he did manage a huge red snapper around 30# all on jigs I made for him. Only thing he wanted was white and red bucktails. not a real easy tie but they held up. Used mot of my premium buctails to make them. Lotta fur on those 1oz and 2oz heads

Bucho

Thanks guys, excellent information, I appreciate! :icon14:

Red&White was all I heard, too. Will have to think of some better way to seal them than loon uv goo. Wanna get this right, these people are money! One decent catch picture alone would rock on FB, let alone the wealthy travel company.

Back