Taneycomo

HairyMooseKnuckles

Headed to Branson in the next few weeks to Fish Taneycomo. What flies would you Ty and take? Never fished for trout before. Should be a great adventure!

I did a couple of zebra midges. Size 12 scud hook.

HairyMooseKnuckles

This one not too good. My thread frayed and my eyes didn't catch it. Hard to see these things too small!! I don't know how you guys Ty on those tiny hooks!!! This size 12 is too small for me!!!!

hookup

HairyMooseKnuckles said:
I don't know how you guys Ty on those tiny hooks!!!

First, I really don't, but sometimes, when the old eyes don't work well, I have one of these for wrapping threads on rod guides that works ...

41yy8%2B%2B1i7L._SX342_.jpg

AllenOK

Size 12 too small???? I start tying at size 12 and go DOWN from there! I've got scud hooks down to size 22. +2.50 reading glasses help, although the magnifiers that Hookup posted will probably be on my purchasing list in the next few years.

I honestly don't Trout fish that much. I have no idea what's hitting there. That said, do some Zebra Midges in other colors, red, gray, olive, etc. Clousers and other streamers for big fish? Might be a good idea to tie up some foam hoppers in various colors. I prefer a mix of yellow, brown, light green, etc. Maybe some ubiquitous nymph patterns, like PT's, GRHE's, etc.?

Pup

Streamers in sizes 2, 4, & 6. I think I'd rather swing a streamer across the current, rather than cast and follow a nymph. A strike indicator would be necessary for me to detect a strike while mending a floating fly line and following its tip.

Inline spinners combined with any number of different wet flies (e.g. white miller wet, red ibis wet, etc.) in size 6 and 8 are my favorite. Here's what I'm referring to: Inline Spinners

Will you be fishing in Lake Taneycomo? Or, maybe a trout park in the area?

HairyMooseKnuckles

I have the 2.50 reading glasses that I use for tying. I did real good without Bifocals until 50, my eye doctor said I was luckier than most. I sure miss being able to thread a needle so to speak. That's for the info on the online spinners. We will be staying right on the lake. We are suppose to be renting a Condo that the wife picked out.

Hawnjigs

KISS
If the terrain limits the use of fly gear, a good UL spinning outfit might be an option. In fact, I'm totally satisfied with my share of still water trout here throwing 1/16 - 1/8 #4 hook jigs with no need to invest the time & expense of learning to fly fish. Dark color mink, skrat, & rabbit fur Boolie ties have served me well.

Those inline spinners look ideal for times when max metal flash is the preferred ticket.

hookup

I'm w/ Hawn. I have a fly rod & gear, but an inline or a small jig on a ultra light's brought many slime rockets to the frying pan.

Been wanting to build a 7' St Croix Avid 2-piece UL for just this task - but since I only fish for trout once or twice a year, I've opted to build other rods instead. Built one for a boss that retired - he hired me, so I figured I owed him one - and man, did I want to keep it. I'm usually fishing a 5' to 6' UL, so the extra foot was the cats meow.

Back