Swim Jigs

JSC

Hi Guys
Thought You might like to take a look at these swim jigs, a combonation of Lead Pouring, Painting, Wire Forming, Plastic Pouring and etc.

Been useing them for years some in different configurations. And I use the plain jig for 90% of my Plastic worm fishing ..

JSC

(could not get a lot of detail into this pix and keep it as small as possible)

Attachments

• 01 Swim Jigs.jpg
    01 Swim Jigs.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 116

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent looking jig/trailers! Have been using jig/pig style baits using a 7" worm or 5" Kalin's grub for awhile now and have got some big fish on them over the years. :cool: Never really tried them with a straight style worm before.....

What wt. and hook size/style are these? I take it these are custom because i can't remember seeing anything like them around, i like the head!

JSC

View attachment 7View attachment 6Thanx for the comments.
These are all 1/8 oz (+/-) .. also have a 1/4 + oz same design do not use as much as the 1/8 th.
They are made with a custom mold (made for me by Paul Ament in the early 70's).
I called it the "Scoot A Hed" ... fish it mostly unpainted with weed guard and a 6 in worm.
With it skirted it works great with most any trailer ... back when I first made it I caught a lot with it skirted and with a "Uncle Josh" Pork Frog. I have it set up to take several different hooks ...
The following:
#1 is unpainted non weedless with a Gamme hook.
#2 is unpainted Weedless Sproat Hook .. Use a lot but this type weed guard leaves a small hole to run the line thru ..
gets kind of tricky to tie on.
#3 Is Painted & eyed with cable (twisted wire) leader wire Weed guard ...
#4 is painted (Flat Black) and is a carlisle hook (3/0) with weed guard there again works great but is hard to tie on.
#5 is painted (Flat Black) and is a carlisle hook (3/0) with cable (twisted wire) leader wire Weed guard.
The carlisle is has proven to be great fishing weed beds and have gone to using it in the #5 Configuration with a 6" worm (mostly)
The #3 with a sproat hook makes a great swim jig when skirted with various trailers.
the #3 (unpainted) I use it mostly with 6" worm (and other plastic) when fishing in limbs, logs, bushes and etc. and worming it real slow.
The weed guards on #3 & #4 are tipped with powder paint .. keeps the twists together.
Been using and working with it for close to 40 years and come up with odds & ends on it all along ... it makes a fairly good inline skirted spinner bait.
I originally made it for "drift trolling" for Speckled Trout ...

Thanx for Viewing and comments are welcomed.
JSC
Jim

Attachments

• SAH.jpg
    SAH.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 77

jiggerjohn

Jim, Those heads look really cool! Nice job on incorporating a longer straight shank carlisle hook into them, with nicely formed weedguards! I too often use straight shank hooks in a special silicone mold I have that will accept any type hook for molding. I use mostly rabbit fur for my "swimjigs", and have had a good couple of days with them on largemouth yesterday & today ! This is the time of year for the swimjigs!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Thats a pretty creative use of a jig head - never thought to put a bend in the hook after pouring the head on. I assume the mold is set up to pour with straight hooks - does the upward angled head & hook eye work a lot better for you?

JSC

Hawnjigs said:
Thats a pretty creative use of a jig head - never thought to put a bend in the hook after pouring the head on. I assume the mold is set up to pour with straight hooks - does the upward angled head & hook eye work a lot better for you?

Hi HJ
Yep that was one of the things I tested later on and it helps a lot in heavy cover and reduces any "Spins" that you might get with a "Twister Tail" ..
Thanx Guys for the kind words .. any suggestions would be appreciated
JSC
Jim
:)

Back