Sugar Creek (my home waters)

jjsjigs

Banned
Hit Sugar Creek, but instead of the lower end of the creek (warmwater species) I drove up into the headwaters (for trout) in search of fishable water. Last night we had a tremendous storm with tornado's and hail. (golfball and marble sized hail)

558305602_photobucket_4993_.jpg

So all the creeks were raging and chocolate milk....
558305602_photobucket_5288_.jpg
so to the headwaters I go with my good friend "Anokpeas".

558305602_photobucket_5286_.jpg

If one could find a small feeder dumping in clear water into the mud... you could find fishable areas like this:

558305602_photobucket_5287_.jpg

Small sulfers were hatching in a size #22 but I doubt the fish could see them through the mud. I did see an elusive North Branch of Sugar Creek mayfly. They hatch only on tree limbs.... usually with a "tailing shuck of fly tippet". These flies are called "Anokpeas" flies... they like Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer, nicotine, and bourbon. Here you can see one of these flies... LOL!
558305602_photobucket_5289_.jpg

The hallmark of sighting this fly is the single digit of it's wing. It usually is directed at the angler taking its picture:
558305602_photobucket_5290_.jpg

jjsjigs

Banned
Sometimes skill and experience catches the fish... like LD! Sometimes when you hit the right part of the stream you catch that magic hatch.. that's just timing! Sometimes when you fish in the MUD and high water.... it's gotta be the fly!!!
558305602_photobucket_6191_.jpg
(Ha ha, you can see my line stuck in the tree... I waded out there to get it... man I'm stupid)
I went out today with flows a good 12-18 inches above what it has been, with a constant flow of MUD! Even wading was pretty hard!!! The flows are pretty SWIFT!
558305602_photobucket_6188_.jpg

... and pretty DEEP!! I was wading up to about stomach area just to fish in the same spots I normally would be mid-thigh.

I used the Purple Chickenbat exclusively and I EARNED my fish tonight... it was HARD fishing. But I feel my new Chickenbat Fly made all the difference in the 2 hours I got out!!

Smallie #1

558305602_photobucket_6190_.jpg
Smallie #2:
558305602_photobucket_6187_.jpg
and Smallie #3:
558305602_photobucket_6186_.jpg

jjsjigs

Banned
End of an Era. For almost 13 years I've fished the lower section of Sugar Creek. I've tended to it... mused over it, yearned for it at times. I've caught multitudes of bass, chubs, walleye, carps, fallfish, rockies... this creek is a gem. Alas, not any more. I'm glad I got to fish it a few times this year.I have truly been a steward for this creek... and this is how I'm repaid. I'm so stinkin' pissed.

558305602_photobucket_8742_.jpg

SaltyBuckster

I hope that my old hotspots for trout are still open for me to fish.I remember spending quite a few weekends up at Poe Valley fishing Little Poe Creek with nothing but a couple size "O" Mepps Aglias,a roll of aluminum foil,some butter and salt and pepper,and we ate very good for the weekend.Them little 6" Spruce Trout with thier red meat tasted pretty darned good.

JUNGLEJIM1

That s-cks !!!! I'd have a talk with the owner,probably don't even fish. You showing all those smallies inspired me to tie up some baits for them.I'm gonna have to do some in purple since it's been working for you and the streams look similar to some around here.

Back