Stream side vise

Squeakyboatcaptain

1329923839.jpg
I found this vise today, while looking thru some of my old tackle.... My Dad bought this for me when I was about 10 or 11 around 1978 0r 79. He was stationed at the Air Force Academy then, and we would do a lot of trout fishing in the mountains.
He had got a fly tying kit for a birthday or something, and was never really interested in tying, so he gave it to me. I learned how to tie a few basic patterns with it, and I would tie up his flies for our weekend trips.
After a year or two... he bought this little vise, so I could match the hatch for him...... I would screw it into a log next to the stream or river, and he would hold up a mayfly, or caddis... or whatever they were hitting.... and say " Boy.... Can you make one like this??"
I would always have that kit with me when we went.... and I think I did more tying than fishing... But I always enjoyed watching him fish more than doing it myself... he was an artist with that old bamboo fly rod.

Anyways.... thought ya'll might be interested in seeing it. Maybe not vintage, but it holds a special place in my heart.

Fatman

Jerry,

Way Cool!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was a kid I always went with my Uncle. My Dad wasn't all that into fishing but I still remember the 7 times Dad took me and the little brother fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back