Still cuttin lots of holes

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Been getting out 2 or 3 times a week. If i was to guess, bet i have easily put 150 holes in the 4 different small city reservoirs i have been fishing in. Averaging 6 or so keeper fish each trip and staying close to home. All of the cities withing 25 minute drive from my door. :cool:

Got out Sunday to New Washington with a member from the Ohio Game Fishing forum to a reservoir that was purchased from the city and is now private. It is a stones throw away from the public reservoir there, but have not been able t fish it for the last five years since it turned private. Buddy has permission though. Fishing was really good. Brought home 13 b.gills all over 8" but one was a dink hook swallow that went to the outside cats. Also caught a broad shouldered LMB that went 17"! Had a beautiful view of the sunset from the kitchen window as i was cleaning fish.

View attachment 1

Skiped out half a day of work today. First time experience for me of ice fishing in the rain. It was interesting. Not full blown rain, more of a mist, but it was coming down pretty steady. Towards 5:00 just before i gave up it was all freezing and coating my gear. Fished the old Attica Reservoir and the size is way down still recovering from a pretty significant fish kill a few years back. Biggest b.gill went 7.5". Did get a 11.5" LMB that would have come home with me if it went 12". Next year. Ended with 5 b.gills and 3 crappie. Must have caught 20 crappies all in the 8"-9" cookie cutter size range that were released. When i found a pod of them, they were aggressive. The 3 crappie i brought home all got hooked pretty deep and were bleeding. Figured i'd keep them rather than chance them dying. They were pretty small, but make some fish fingers.

View attachment 2

Attachments

• 100_8600_e.jpg
    100_8600_e.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_8608_e.jpg
    100_8608_e.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_8610_e.jpg
    100_8610_e.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 47

Radtexan

Very nice report. Glad you've been able to get out some.
The snow covered lake pic makes me feel bad for bailing on a trip today. After all it was 44 degrees, but the wind was 45. So I think I made the right call.

Lost Pole

If a report gets better than that. It's gotta be heaven bc it sounds so.
Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Radtexan - Two good reasons i skipped the afternoon of work...... 1. Have to work on Saturday this week. (we need a puke smiley) 2. The temp hovered around freezing today. This weekend is gonna be crap. High on Sunday of 0° and who knows what negative number the wind will make it. Just might be my only chance to get out ill next week. By the extended forecast (guess) for the region, i should be ice fishing in to March this year again. Can't ask for much more.

Lost Pole - There are bigger fish in both of the New Washington reservoirs. The old Attica reservoir is still on the mend............ heaven awaits. ;) The newer reservoir here in town is just about at the climax point since it is not that old, but damned if i can find the big crappie that i know are in it during ice season. I have caught 15" crappie from her in the spring. Over the last few years i have learned to fish the new reservoir (bigger/deeper) during first and last ice. During middle of the season ice, the old reservoir (smaller/shallower) has a lot more active fish. Got to take it all in as we go and keep our eyes and ears open. :beer:

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Glad YOU are giving the ice gear a workout this year! I would like to wake up to snow like in that pic one day. Been 70 here all week.

Jig Man

Man that one picher gave me the shivers.. some good eatin fish AF, been nice here most of the week, but I been sick, and gettin tired of that for sure. Oh well maybe next week!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I will be quite happy to be walking on these little reservoirs into March if extended forecasts/guesses hold true. 90% of them do not allow boats, so only 'deep' water access i have is walking out in the winter. Still at least 2 other ( much bigger) small town reservoirs i really want to get out on this winter, but those all depend on weather and winds. Still need to get me a Little Buddy propane heater for in the shanty when the wind picks up on these wide open above ground reservoirs.

Back