Steelhead Flies

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Tying up some flies to fill up a box to make an attempt at steelhead. The nymphs are tied on #8's - hellgie/stones are on #6's - scuds are on #6 octopus. I need to make up some smaller versions of the nymphs, they are in the works. Not sure about the scuds on Octopus hooks, the eye is bent in the wrong direction from a true scud hook, but i do know the bluegills like them during the summer. haha. Steels are a far cry from gills, but we will just have to see i guess.

Nymphs:
101_1997_e.jpg

Hellgies/Stoneflies:
101_1994_e.jpg

Scuds:
101_1991_e.jpg

Still have single eggs, sucker spawn and crystal meth flies to work on. I have a bunch of clousers and other minnow patterns already, but will most likely tie up a few more to try and match the emerald shiners & shad that are in the rivers as well.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
jjsjigs - have read about the plastic bags for shellbacks - even condoms :rolleyes: - but have never tried it out. Will tie up a few gray/olive ones as well, i know i have those colors on hand.

DC - Thanks! :) I am guessing the pics of steelhead will be put off till spring time. The COLD has set in here for sure and from a few reports i have gotten, the closest river to me with a steel run is locked in with ice. High temp tomorrow of 19 degs with a 20-30 mph wind!

steve r.

looks like too much "bug" to me. all we use up here are yarn flies and egg flies, some caught on egg sucking rabbit leeches. great ties however!

Back