Steel sinkers rock-a-roo blanks

walleyescrounger

I wanted to throw this crazy idea out to our teacher redman and others that have pressed molds into aluminum. I got thinking about steel blanks and how I would need to get an expensive lathe to create a rock-a -roo head"red man style head. In my vast space that tinker with fishing ideas almost on a hourly basis I remembered that there are sinkers being made of steel. I rembered some drop shot weights and sinkers with a similar shape to rock-a-roos. I'm sure these sinkers are probably not like tool steel and would need to be tempered. Even then these probably would deform under pressure.
Do any of you think this is something that might work. If I found the right shape in a purer non expoxied tungsten it might work? Please let me know what you guys think.
Neil

walleyescrounger

If I try this approach I'm going to use the 95% tungsten 
Reins drop shot sinkers . I like the shape the best and the sizes 
should cover crappie to walleye.
Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 96

redman

Now Neal I would Chuck it up in my lathe and take off the flare in the front. You would be close. The Jim Stone heads didn't have the flare they were straight. Nice idea everything old is new again!!!!!!!

Redman

redman

Now Neal I would Chuck it up in my lathe and take off the flare in the front. You would be close. The Jim Stone heads didn't have the flare they were straight. Nice idea everything old is new again!!!!!!!

Redman

redear

Neil, you could also use a drill press with maybe a 1/2" chuck, instead of a lathe and use 1/2" steel round stock drill bit blank from victor machinery in new York. Take a dremel with the cutting wheel 1 inch diameter and carve the stock while it's spinning. once a blank is separated from the rest of the stock it becomes real hard to get it recentered in a chuck, in other words it needs to be about finished when separated from the round stock.

redear

Another way could be to chuck some round stock in a hand held drill and use it against a belt sander, this would require a steady hand.

walleyescrounger

redear said:
Neil, you could also use a drill press with maybe a 1/2" chuck, instead of a lathe and use 1/2" steel round stock drill bit blank from victor machinery in new York. Take a dremel with the cutting wheel 1 inch diameter and carve the stock while it's spinning.  once a blank is separated from the rest of the stock it becomes real hard to get it recentered in a chuck, in other words it needs to be about finished when separated from the round stock.

Redear
Thanks for the ideas. It seems with some farm engineering this Jim Stone
design I want to recreate might not need a lathe.

redear

Yeah, I wouldn't let not having a lathe stop me from making that blank, I do like using a dremel tool with the 1 inch cutting wheel though, and some black sandpaper of different grits.. that would be an easy shape to do.

walleyescrounger

redear said:
Yeah, I wouldn't let not having a lathe stop me from making that blank, I do like using a dremel tool with the 1 inch cutting wheel though, and some black sandpaper of different grits.. that would be an easy shape to do.

I'm working on it along with a press. I haven't heard from redman in a while. We had been communicating by email . I reach out to him last sat I haven't heard back. I know he is busy taking
care of his mom. I hope all is well with him.

Back