Stayner Ducktails

AllenOK

3xl streamer hooks, size 6. Colors changed to match the Redfin Minnows native to the river I fish. Ones one the right have 8 wraps of .015 lead wire, ones on the left (red heads for easy ID) have 10 wraps of .030 lead wire.

View attachment 8

Attachments

• 20150831StaynerDucktails.JPG
    20150831StaynerDucktails.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 121

StumpHunter

I have never seen these flies before but am very impressed with them. Really like the materials used and the colors. May have to try some tied in the colors of our shad, gray LOL. I like using the red wing and should give a kick to the two tone gray I would use. Thanks for posting these.

AllenOK

Thanks Stump. I forget what the colors are for the original Stayner Ducktail. I changed the colors up to match the native Redfin Minnows in the river here. They are a blueish-purple color, with orange fins. Very distinctive coloring, and readily visible in my minnow traps when I go after them. The real things make GREAT bait.

I did some of these last year to match those minnows. I ended up swapping two of the ones I tied (plus lots of other flies/jigs) to a buddy in exchange for some duck feathers. My buddy told me a week or so ago that he was fishing one of these flies in the Roaring River, and watched a 4 lbs Rainbow come up and slurp it down. He had on really light tippet, and ended up loosing the fish and the fly.

davidriley

Very nice indeed.
They remind me of the 'Missionary fly' an old New Zealand pattern, which was 'modernised' by Dick Shrive a UK trout fly fisherman of some note and used with much success by him from the late 1950s.

David

AllenOK

Thanks again gents. GrampsJigs, a very big THANK YOU for providing the history of the fly. I didn't know any of that. Heck, I have yet to actually fish one of these! It's a stillwater pattern, excellent! The ones pictured above actually have marabou for the tail and throat, not saddle hackle. I'm not sure if I have orange saddle hackle or not. I'll have to check.

AF, the red head is a code of sorts among most fly tyers, it means that it's got a heavier weight than the normal tie. Of course, even the "regular" ones I tied up have some lead wire wrapped on the hook, but not much. I'll have to tell my buddy that it's more of a stillwater pattern than for a stream. I'll have to tell him to get his kayak out and go after them with those, if he can ever leave the doves alone......

And for all y'all, just wait. I'm planning on doing these as jigs, too.

GrampsJigs

AllenOK said:
Thanks again gents. GrampsJigs, a very big THANK YOU for providing the history of the fly. I didn't know any of that. Heck, I have yet to actually fish one of these! It's a stillwater pattern, excellent! The ones pictured above actually have marabou for the tail and throat, not saddle hackle. I'm not sure if I have orange saddle hackle or not. I'll have to check.

AF, the red head is a code of sorts among most fly tyers, it means that it's got a heavier weight than the normal tie. Of course, even the "regular" ones I tied up have some lead wire wrapped on the hook, but not much. I'll have to tell my buddy that it's more of a stillwater pattern than for a stream. I'll have to tell him to get his kayak out and go after them with those, if he can ever leave the doves alone......

And for all y'all, just wait. I'm planning on doing these as jigs, too.

No problem, my friend and all, that is what I am here for. This pattern is effective for Trout, Bass, Perch, Panfish, even a Catfish or too! Not one too travel much myself, other than out here in the West, I will tell you that some friends took this pattern to Russia and also to Argentina and did well with it in their "RIVERS".

I think I will try to tie up a few on a jighead also!

StumpHunter

GrampsJigs said:
The Stayner Ducktail

Here is a link to a blog post on my old blog pertaining to the Stayner Ducktail. It is one of the finest Trout patterns I have ever fished in Stillwater. There is a tying demo on the blog post also. Enjoy!

I really enjoyed reading your blog on about this fly. It will be one I tie in a few different colors and sizes to try here in South Carolina. I use a subsurface fly a lot and I know this one will be a good one to add.
If it works in Russia it will work here :)

GrampsJigs

StumpHunter said:
GrampsJigs said:
The Stayner Ducktail

Here is a link to a blog post on my old blog pertaining to the Stayner Ducktail. It is one of the finest Trout patterns I have ever fished in Stillwater. There is a tying demo on the blog post also. Enjoy!

I really enjoyed reading your blog on about this fly. It will be one I tie in a few different colors and sizes to try here in South Carolina. I use a subsurface fly a lot and I know this one will be a good one to add.
If it works in Russia it will work here :)

StumpHunter - Happy to hear you visited and read my story about the Stayner Ducktail. Too me, it is a legendary fly pattern! I have tied them from a size 6 - 14 on a 3xl hook. Most effective size for me are and 8 or 10......... Be sure and let me know how you do with them. Oh, by the way, am now writing on a new blog format in the link with my signature here.

Fatman

Living here in Vermont, we have the American Museum of Fly Fishing and right there is the Battenkill River which is well known for trout fishing.

I take some ribbing on some of the fly tying boards I'm on as I've never tied a streamer pattern or fished one, looks like I really should give them a try, but it's been a few years since I used the fly rod due to my back.

Back