Spring bite

Kdog

Been able to get out a bit back is messed p so gotta leave the prime spots to healthier folks. having said that, I have several easy access spots that are usually overlooked. Also have a very helpful friend to help me get around,.

been able to catch 4 or 5 each trip but the spring rains have really changed things.  Fast murky water has been the norm.  Been using a lot of 3" grubs, chartruse, black and white and silver and white, 1/8 to 1/4 ruby red slipper head with a yellow orange belly, olive drab green with yeloow belly and the venerable watermelon have been working well.

I fish on crutches which is a new challenge, they have only gone swimming twice quickly remedied with a grapple hook on a light rope, they do float which helps. I fish small holes that are overlooked by most invariably  someone will see me catching and move in and start fishing within a few feet but always between me and the hole Im working.  aggravating to say the least.  In a way its amusing, they have no clue whaere they are fishing and no idea where the boulders and log piles are. I usually just relax, watch them  turn the  water to froth, drink a mt dew and wait for them to leave.   Then when they leave, its back to business and usually have a fish on before they are very far away. A couple have turned back and go back at it but most just shake their heads and keep going to the more popular holes.

So spring count has me a 64 Saugeyes 17 - 20 inches and one whopper 25".  Walleye bite is picking up but not sure Im gonna be able to get in and out of the boat.  Gonna try it Saturday though.

duffy

Sorry to hear about your back but good to hear your still getting out and by the report doing quite well. Don't you just luv the people that horn in on your area because their just too lazy to figure it out.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hate to hear about the rough time getting around... I've been down with back issues in the past and that is no fun. Sure sounds like you have been able to stay on some fish though. Finally picking up for me and putting a few walleye in the freezer over the last 2 weeks. Hopefully will get out some time this weekend to see if any crappie are around.

Kdog

just an update; braved getting out in the boat on crutches, some may have found it comical but we dot out and after 5 hours had our walleye limit 6each 18 to 21 inches then went after ctappies, lake started getting too many pleasure boats and PWC but we added 16 crappie over 11" in 2 1/2 hours and called it quits. Getting out of the boat was a challenge. boat seats are not theraputic and I was so stiff and only able to really move 1 leg, but I did make it out and safely on the ground without mishap. Crappie were killing pink heads, white bodies and pink tails with a bit of flash, all pink barely got touched, but my expeeriment from this winter making 1/8z size heads in pure tin yeilded aboy 1/6 oz but a quick clear coat preserved the bright tin and those jigs were working on crappie hite body pink yail, whiye body and orange tail. The bigger head has a different action.. almost slower but fish liked it.

Wanna try some next trip for walleye.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Sounds like some superb fishing. Can't keep a good man down.

Tin has gotten so expensive that I now (rarely) use it only for surface skimming heads / slabs. Powder paint doesn't adhere well to pure tin too.

hookup

Way to make lemonade out of lemons

I get the back problems. Had them since April 21, 2008

Back