Spinning reels

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I'd rather spend my $$ on a nicer rod. I've always seen the reel as simply a line holder and the rod is the real tool, but that has some to do with how we each mainly fish i spose. I have the same feeling about fly reels. If the drag works on a reel, good enough for me! That said, i do own a Pflueger reel that i feel i spent too much on.

duffy

F & F Sounds like either the ramps or rollers in the AR bearing are worn or the springs are weak/broken. I have fudged on some worn ones and lightly taken scotchbright  to the outside of the inner rotating sleeve so the rollers will grip it but that only lasts a short while. You Should be able to buy just that bearing and replace it. If you like the reel and it has no other issues it would be a fairly cheap fix, although on some models the bearing is pressed into the side cover and you have to replace it also. Just so you know, I'm not a authorized reel repairman, just a mechanic.

Fin and Fur

Yeah I'm a diesel mechanic and didn't think of scuffing it. I found the rod and reel in the woods real random, so I picked it up and used them both to their respective end of life. It had been is the sun for so long the flex coat was brittle and flaking off. Just a garden variety ugly stick with a shimano symetra so it must have been from when they first came out with the U S. It was a good reel so I'll probably order bearing and housing, listed as unit in breakdown. Springs are all still there but probably better to replace w/ new. Cleaned/lubed it up and used the reel for 2 yrs before this happened. The longest temp fix was brake clean and air but still only lasted short bit so scuff would probably only last that long too

joe

Fin and Fur said:
Acts like you flipped the switch and it will back crank till it rat nests. No chatter or slip just free spin. Sucks when it happens while trying to set the hook or even when you just lift the tip

Yeah, my newer Symetres have a tendency to do this when the temps get down to a certain level, usually near freezing.  Not always or consistently, but right around the "forgot about that BS" interval and I'll get a backspin.  If it happened all the time, I'd always remember to stabilize the rotor with a finger when landing a bass and would be less of a problem.  

Never happens above 35 degrees.  Tried different lubes with no luck, I kinda think it has to do with the temperature of the housing/materials and a slight contraction of them.  It'll catch eventually, but something is slowing or delaying the response.

I tend to reel & sweep on hooksets so the effect is not noticed until landing a fish.  One can see how it would suck on Bill Dance style hooksettings, that'd make for a mess.

Fin and Fur

Now that you mention temperature It was in middle of winter when it started I remember a few days of fishing in the teens. Nothing like iced guides and frozen fingers. Still going to replace AR housing cause the shimano on my other rod never had problems in the freezing temps.

Fatman

As much as I hear about problems folks have with Shimano's I've never had a single one. The one time I had a problem was MY fault on one of my TX-120Q's I broke the entire reel housing and sent it back and they sent me a brand new reel. Really wish they hadn't stopped putting a spare spool in cause some of the high end Shimano spools are big $$$.

hookup

f-n-f

Have to see & play w/ the reel to diagnose, but sounds like the anti reverse clutch is toast

I'm no reel mechanic, but tinkered with enough spinning reels to understand how they work

Latest Daiwa I got didn't have a spare spool - 40 bones for a new one, but decided to keep the jackson's in my wallet

Fatman

Fin - this is one I posted in another thread.  

This is one place I've dealt with and they're good.  Service fees are actually pretty good if you really like your reels.  

http://www.fishingreelparts.com/  If you know exactly what parts you need and work on your own reels you can look and see if they have the schematics of your reel and order the right parts.  

another one that a lot of the guys on Bass Boat Central say is good for older Shimano parts is Dad's Old Tackle
http://store.dadsoletackle.com/

Hope this helps you out!

Pup

Fin and Fur said:
Who is a good supplier for replacement parts? Beside buying directly from shimano.

For specific parts, I try to find them on eBay.  Most times it's cheaper and more sensible for me to buy a complete reel (used) and have it shipped, rather than just purchase an individual part.

The last part I purchased for an Ambassadeur baitcasting reel, an anti-reverse dog,  was relatively inexpensive as was its shipping charge.  It came from a seller on eBay.

Fin and Fur

I looked up part break down on shimano website and got part# wrote it down and lost it usually I write part#s on my erasable notepad and they end up getting covered in grease before they end up getting called in(my hand). Side note, back of hand lasts longer, wrist works pretty good too

duffy

Fin and Fur said:
I looked up part break down on shimano website and got part# wrote it down and lost it usually I write part#s on my erasable notepad and they end up getting covered in grease before they end up getting called in(my hand).  Side note, back of hand lasts longer, wrist works pretty good too

Until you wash your hands. :D  Hopefully the bearing wont cost more than a new reel! Got a pulley and alternator for my tractor yesterday and the pulley was more than the alt!

Fin and Fur

Doesn't suprize me. Fuel shut off solenoid used to be $30 had JD dealer( on 310b) look it up today 180. Going to call my Midwest aftermarket supplier tomorrow maybe pay 40 max.

T

Troy Luna

The star of the G. Loomis lineup for decades, the GLX got a makeover this year. It is built from a new featherweight, incredibly sensitive blank and has SiC guides in Fuji Titanium frames. Loomis also added an innovative new reel seat that both Cermele and I found to be comfortable and sharp-looking. read more.. http://fishfinderpro.com/best-catfish-rods/

hookup

Just about any rod'll work for catfish. Tie some el chepo guides on a broom stick & you'll catch Mr Whiskers

As far as Loomis goes, as soon as they stopped selling blanks, I stopped buying their products. I still fish the few Loomis' that I've built, but have become a St. Croix 'ho now and luv their blanks. Have rods built on SCIII, SCiV, and SCV blanks and haven't looked back.

Back