Specialty Yarns at Hobby Lobby

macon1

I have recently discovered a huge selection of eyelash yarns at Hobby Lobby.   They carry a large selection of Eyelash yarns, both in variations of colors and metallics as well.  If you have a store nearby, you will find the main area of yarns and not far off a separate area displaying the specialty yarns.  It has some colored strands that only reflects light in tiny spots.  the holographic spots are gold, green, red, and blue.  The Fireworks color is my favorite so far with the silver ice and gold running a close second.  

The fireworks lashes are darker toned making the reflective spots really stand out.  The brand name is Yarn Bee. The label also reads Holographics and "Gilt Eyelash.

I also bought some non metallic in variegated orange and orange-tan for making skirts for soft plastic craws.  Being finely stranded the strands will move about when the lure is resting on bottom emulating legs, feelers, etc.  

The yarns are easy to work with as you simply wrap pretty much at random, then holding them so they face the tail area of the jig and then using the thread to lay the strands down in the skirt and securing with the thread wraps.

rich mc

i have the ones you mentioned and they do have good uses for flies and jigs my fav is lion brand romance yarn all the lashes are 1.5 inches . rich mc

Pup

Be careful to wrap eyelash yarn so that you don't tie down many of its lashes.  A good tool to have is a hobby awl to pull over-wrapped lashes out and away from a hook shank.  One of an eyelash yarn's best uses, in my opinion, is the creation of worm-like tails using a furling technique.

Been tying with eyelash yarns since 2004, when my wife brought home a skein of Bernat Disco (in 'Jungle Jive' green) to me.  I later found out that a few fly tyers had been experimenting with it nearly around that same time.  Had to figure out exactly what to do with it, at first, since I wasn't accustomed to tying with a material that seemed a little awkward to wrap.  Some eyelash yarns are 'tamer' than others in my opinion.

Back