Spec Trout

JSC

Got out this PM ... been catching a few Small Trout for past month with a few decent keepers Average 1 keeper for every 10 (A keeper is 15" to 20 " and a limit of only 5) ... Attached picture is 4 2 largest 20" (lost the 5th one at boat .. could not get a good grip on him and went to "Swing It In" and line popped .. it was scarfed up some and yes it was the largest one of the day) ... Caught a total of 29 Trout and several "Skip Jack" all on my old Scoot A Jig -Shrimp Tail Chart/Silver - Black Metal Flake)
Also picked up 3 Bass (1.25 to 1.75) on spinner bait.

Attachments

• trout.jpg
    trout.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 121

JSC

With the water being low & clear is why I think the Chart/Green being the best color
Normally the Natural is the best but not true so far this year. I have been trying the new EC. Needle Point/Black Chrome Hook and have been real happy ... the normal is the bare jig in the Pix. The spinner bait is a 1/4 oz light Music Wire (note some tarnish) and the blade is a Nickel Ind. (the color in the pix makes it look brass or gold) The Shrimp tail has a green Hi Lite that you cannot see in the Pix .. best seen in the sunlight.

My Daughter & Son in law had them for supper last night.

They are no way near Fresh Water TRout.

Hope to stay on them as the 2 younger (13 & 16) grand kids will be out of school for a couple of weeks and need to have several places for them to catch a few. :bigfish::bigfish::bigfish:

Attachments

• jigSp.jpg
    jigSp.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 110

Hawnjigs

KISS
With a mayo, dill relish, mustard, & garlic spread bigger clean fresh water trout make a fine sandwich.

15-20" sounds like a reasonable keep slot - let the little guys mature and the big uns breed. Do you get any over 20, JSC?

Also, is red your choice head color regardless of plastic color?

JSC

When the Min Size was 12" you could catch a pile of 11.5 to 11.75 now that it is 15 you catch a pile that are 14.5 to 14.75 ... I get a few iin this area over 20" ... out in the Bay and Sound a lot are caught larger than that ... The ones that move in the river Fall/Winter are a little smaller as a rule.
Red Head Jig is my choice for this type fishing but .. I sell a lot of jig heads in other colors #1 seller is chartruse ... I can take unpainted and seem to do as well but need the Powder paint to cut down on corrosion and a little reaction with the plastic.

Psilvers

Both freshwater and saltwater trout (weakfish to those in the Northeast) are great when smoked!

Pete

Back