Soy Sauce

Hawnjigs

KISS
They are NOT all the same, and you get what you pay for.  Indispensable for Asian cousines, rather recently becoming mainstream as an ingredient in teriyaki and Korean bar-b-q sauces.   As a lifelong consumer of Japanese soy sauce,  there are two types, pure soy Tamari and wheat added Shoyu.  Dunno, I like them both but tend to favor the traditional shoyu I grew up with.  There are also "light" and reduced sodium versions which I avoid.

1. Best organic:  Ohsawa Organic Shoyu (expensive),  San-J Organic Shoyu (pricey)
2. Mainstream:  Yamasa Soy Sauce,  Kikkoman Soy Sauce

For drizzling on food, Ohsawa is the tastiest.  San-J is almost as good, and I use it for blending with wasabi, ginger, garlic, or lemon juice for dips.

For meat-fish marinades, less expensive Yamasa is preservative free delicious but hard to find,  Kikkoman tasty and available at Walmart.

All mentioned are BREWED, some of the cheap stuff is colored salty water with chemical flavoring.

I've not tried Chinese of SE Asian versions, if others would care to share their experiences.

hookup

I've always bought Kikkoman and have never put that much thought into it

Also mix with fish sauce, oyster sauce, & teriyaki for a marinade

Add some brown sugar, sesame seeds, ground fresh ginger, fine diced onion & garlic and shirasa for a good marinate for smoking fish. Works good on beef, pork or chix'n too

AllenOK

If you ever find some "Golden Mountain" seasoning sauce, give it a try. It's a soy sauce, but a very different taste that Kikkoman. If you've ever had Dale's Seasoning Sauce, it's basically the same thing.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've noticed that "seasoning" often implies MSG as an ingredient.

Dangers are arguable, but stuff like this is scary !
"Topping the charts of dangerous additives is the deservedly maligned MSG, (monosodium glutamate), a known carcinogen, endocrine disrupter and killer of brain cells, which may also be linked to the development of cardiac problems, kidney problems, neurological disorders, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Lou Gehrig's disease"

Back