Some recent fish

AllenOK

Been doing some fishing.  Got out one day last week, caught a Smallie on a custom jig clipped to a jig-spinner frame.

View attachment 4

Headed out to a spot I've fishing several times and always get skunked.  Yesterday (Sunday) I managed to catch a Dogfish/Bowfin on a jig I painted/tied.  Didn't have my net or lip grips with me.  Tried to drag the fish up the rip-rap to where I was standing, and the mono leader broke.  Fish swam off with my jig. Sorry, no pic.  I realized that this particular spot had a counter-clockwise eddy current with a large patch of foam on top of it, that was screaming "CATFISH" to me.  I decided to go back today, armed with a bunch of nightcrawlers that I had caught a few days ago.

Well, I caught just about everything EXCEPT catfish!  Only got pics of the Smallies, but I also caught some decent Bluegill, Pumpkinseeds, Rock Bass over 9" that fought like Smallies, a couple LMBs, several small Crappies, and even a small Pike.  I blew threw about 30 nightcrawlers in about 3 hours, then switched back to hair- and feather-jigs under a float, tipped with a Gulp! Minnow.

Unfortunately, I only got pics of the Smallies.  This one grabbed a nightcrawler.

View attachment 5

These last two were on jigs.  One of them grabbed an unnamed pattern I did, Ruby Slipper head, white artic fox for the tail with a little flash, and red metallic embroidery thread for a neck.  The other grabbed a Flash Duck.

View attachment 6

View attachment 7

Attachments

• 20190502Smallie.jpg
    20190502Smallie.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190506Smallie1.jpg
    20190506Smallie1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190506Smallie2.jpg
    20190506Smallie2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190506Smallie3.jpg
    20190506Smallie3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0

AllenOK

I caught all of these fish from the same river. The first fish came from a spot halfway between home and work. I hesitate to call it a "river"; it's more of a creek at this point. Water levels are at normal here. The other three came from a spot about 40 minutes away, further downstream. It's definitely a river, but just a small one. Water levels are up a bit, maybe 6" above normal flow.

Back