So you guys wouldn`t have me over any more, would you?

Bucho

I hear its the European`s turn now to not be let into the U.S.. Frankly, I understand. The Chinese Government has managed to get a grip on the plague but only with measures that are inapropriate for a western democracy. Situation in north Italy is bad. ERs are saturated, certain groups like elderlies with pre-conditions are no more given intensive treatment in some areas. 

As of today, I am officially concerned. The upcoming fair I booked is cancelled like all other gatherings over 1000 participants. My recent tying material order has been supended for 2 months now. Just bunkered bags for my merchandise, Lady said the packaging material wholeseller is already out of many items. With thousands of Chinese truck drivers quaranteened, ships can not be unloaded, logistics collapse. When I read about the TP situation in Australia on a British forum, guys where joking about Wodka shortage due to alcohol abuse in form of hand sanitization. I bought a year`s supply of spirit the next day which I need to degrease my casts with. Meanwhile, isopropyl trade is under government control in the UK.

Panic is not my sort of thing but getting a good supply of imported necessities is a good idea these days.

Bucho

Just read that Norway also rejects or quaranteens non-nordic country travelers. So Denmark it is for me this summer.

Bucho

Thats the main concern: you can only print so much money. There is a shortage of goods and the first thing that occurs to them is to flood economy with more money. When I went to business school 20 years ago, that would have been considered a bad idea.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
It is sure a fluid situation with things changing quickly. Tough to believe any numbers the government has given us so far when they don't have squat worth of tests to go by. Sounds to me like they are just guessing and leaning to the worse side so they can try and be prepared. It is too late to prepare if you ask me, just trying to cope now i believe. And evidently people are coping here by going to the store and buying toilet paper also. Completely bare shelves where the toilet paper was and now they are starting to sell out of baby wipes. So far, the panic i see from people is scaring me worse than the thought of a virus..... but it also has not gotten out of hand in my area yet. Time will tell.

The whole trickled down from the panic is going to be huge. I think the small business i am part owner of (team sporting goods, screen printing, embroidery, awards, etc) will feel it very quickly, but still unsure. Yesterday the state announced all Kindergarten through High School classes will be closed for 3 weeks for the entire state of Ohio. This is after there have been a total of 5 cases confirmed in the state. But again, go back to the fact that the state lacks adequate testing and the real number is unknown. They are planning to announce what they are going to do about high school sports today and have already canceled pretty much all college spring sports. If the whole spring sports season for middle/high school is canceled...... that is my businesses MAIN source of income over the next 2 to 3 months. I have a few team and event orders that have been canceled so far and some others that are put on hold. If they just post-pone things that would be good, i know we can hunker down and wait it out. I have a sh!t-ton of BIG team orders up on my bulletin board right now that are pretty much in limbo and i have no clue if they will actually happen or not. It is all just wait and see at the moment.

Everyone stay safe and healthy out there!

Hawnjigs

KISS
As of today there are 13 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ohio and Guvnor DeWine estimates 1% of Ohio's 11.7 million population may be infected. Hopefully school closings will help at least minimize the spread of infection.

Hahaha, USA blames China, China, Iran & N Korea blames USA.

Hope y'all managed to stash enuf food, drinking water, fuel to survive home quarantines, tho that will only be a temporary fix if the economy crashes.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
This is the only website I am actually paying attention to for actual numbers.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

You will get different numbers at every other place you go. They update around noon once a day so they will probably go up tomorrow.

I have a somewhat compromised immune system since I had a spleenectomy from an auto accident many years ago..... but I have my middle age going for me. Scary to hear the absolute ignorance that my high school age children come home with that was fed to them by some specific teachers. It is nuts and I really want to invite them over to smack them upside the head sometimes. Not really.... but damn some of these teachers can't listen to what is told to them over and over. It is a scary situation all around. My kids pretty much have no obligations for the next 3 weeks so that means I don't have to be anywhere (other than work) either. Guess I will practice my own social isolation and spend some time attempting to stock the freezer with some panfish fillets.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The nite walleye bite is starting up early this year, tho mostly dinks out my way. Still, a 19" was dinner tonite and will be tomorrow too.

Nuthin better than social isolation on the water with pole in hand.

Bucho

AtticaFish said:
Guess I will practice my own social isolation and spend some time attempting to stock the freezer with some panfish fillets.

Did I mention my last fortnight`s online lure sales equal a good month? :D Due to my broad range, I have a large stock that lasts for months or even years so the tying material supply is more of a bother than an actual concern.  

I`d rather have it other of course. Even Denmark has closed its borders now, putting this years turbot plans at jeopardy. That leaves me with a rather limited stretch of domestic coastal waters and a whole lot of other sea anglers frustrated from cancelled Norway- and DK trips.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Might be current (seasonal?) brisk sales may have to compensate for future slowdown.

Yup, better to have too much than too little materials inventory.

Hopefully the challenge of pressure will spur innovation.

"There's no success like failure, and failure's no success at all"
-Robert Zimmerman-

duffy

Went to the city (Spokane) yesterday for a Dr. appt for my wife. Hospital traffic was about 1/2 of what it usually is and the people that were there were there because they had to be. Stopped at Costco to grab a few things and that was just packed, then off to WinCo for some groceries that Costco didn't have and that was just crazy in there. No rice, beans, TP and the frozen food section was pretty much cleaned out. You had to search for a shopping cart and the checkout line started at the back of the store I would guess a good 100 yards away. People were pretty courteous though which amazed me. As alway's there's a few A-holes but most were just carrying along. Did see some stuff in carts that made me wonder though??? One guy had 10 packages of chicken gizzards and another lady had 6 family packs of chicken breasts. Now it's spilling over to other goods and I suppose reloading supplies will be next. Glad we're out in the middle of nowhere and hope we didn't pick anything up yesterday as my wife has MS and doesn't need anything else and neither do I. She stayed in the rig except for her appointment and I was very careful but you never know. Fortunately our Basketball team got through with the championships last week before they closed everything down. They were unbeaten the whole year and brought home the State B Championship for the very first time! Go Tigers! Hope everybody here stays healthy.

toadfrog

Don't worry guys I can make you all the internal , external antiseptic you need . And I'm reasonably sure there are some left over corn cobs in the bin.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Bucho, don't judge all Americans by the antics of you-know-who. I'm sure we'd get along fine fishing together, as long as you don't catch more than me.

Bucho

Hawnjigs said:
Bucho, don't judge all Americans by the antics of you-know-who.  I'm sure we'd get along fine fishing together, as long as you don't catch more than me.

Don`t worry, I am far too annoid by relentless pseudo-liberal Trump bashing here to take that the wrong way. I would not bring these things up if there was any chance I took offence.

toadfrog

Hawnjigs said:
Hey Mr. Reptile Advocate, put me down for a fifth.   How will we get it across state lines?

That's the hitch in the plan Ya gotta come git it.

Back