Slip Jig - Tube Fly cross over

Bucho

I came across a slip jig mold the other day. My first idea was to make a hairy Texas Rig weight, in order to get my plastic fishing fellow Germans hooked on hair jigs. I later found that these Jigs are used mainly to punch through heavy cover, will keep that in mind.

21955419oo.jpg

After a couple of casts and some powder painting, I tried a flatwing sandeel pattern on a 1/8th tin head, wondering if the tube fly pattern would be sufficient to balance the jig in the water. It not only was but got me two sea trout hooked with the very first casts. Haven´t had seatrout around for weeks so I forgot the cam. I immediately tied a larger version, went back to the water and got a decent cod. That cam is still in the shop...

21955420ca.jpg

The pair of hooks is #4 Matzuo octopus sickles looped on a solid ring with kevlar. Good hookup, little to none weed and no props with fowling/tangles whatsoever.

Bucho

Thanks! Here´s the pic of the larger version with the cod:

22002209mo.jpg

I´m very happy with the hook-up rate of the hook loop. Been wreck fishing yesterday and even with 2oz jigs and very short bites, the small sticky sharp hooks held very well. If I had to use barbless singles I would´t even think about anything else. Had some large 3/8th jigs tested for asp the other day and the guy told me they caught none but got him a lot of brown trout bites instead. The hookup rate was terrible though, although I made them articulated with a small hook in the back. I suggested to use a hook loop instead and they worked much better for him.
22002316yx.jpg

Back