Skirt tutorial

New River Rat

I've taken a lot from this site and thought I give a little. My jigs and spinnerbaits are geared toward smallies and don't come NEAR the works of art I see on this site. Anyway, I have learned a way to "tie" skirts that works for me.

I was in a fabric shop (don’t laugh, I find lots of stuff here) and found this bent latch rug hook.

Picture001.jpg

I use black rubber collars, because they do not disintegrate as quickly as white or natural. There are some random strands to use as examples.

Picture004.jpg

Simply put the collar on the hook end.

Picture005.jpg

Open latch, slide collar down.

Picture006.jpg

Lay strands in throat of hook.

Picture007.jpg

Close latch, slide collar up.

Picture008.jpg

Hold collar, pull strands through.

Picture009.jpg

Finished.

Picture010.jpg

New River Rat

LedHed said:
What a cutie for an assistant...

Thanks, that's Peanut/youngest granddaughter. She and her older sister were making jigs and spinners earlier. They LOVE this "game".

LedHed said:
How cool is that??? thnx for sharing. Are you using any lubricant? or is it needed?
Human saliva....hey, you asked....natures lubricant.

Radtexan said:
Where did you get the rings ?
Janns, BPS, Barlow....they all carry them.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That is a slick way to do it! I have seen one of those exact tools at the craft shop up the street....... they know me by first name. ;) Gonna have to get me one. Thanks for posting.

StumpHunter

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. I have a small tool like that for making hopper legs and the big one like you have pictured. Always find ways to use them. :)

Back