Simple Curing Rack

Crappie_Pop

I had posted this on Crappie.com and have been asked if I'd post it here on JigCraft.com so here it is.

After going through the frustration of what to use as a curing rack I decided to build my own. I used ½” X ½” hardware cloth. I took some quick measurements and started cutting and bending. I did find that after I cut the wire it left some jagged edges, so I put a small grinding wheel on my Dremel® tool and knocked off the rough spots.

As you can see this rack will hold a lot more than I had on it. The nice thing about it is the sides and top are usable.

I cured the jigs shown at 350 ° for 15 minutes. There is practically no cool down period. This toaster oven is the same on we use in the house, however I did line the crumb tray with aluminum foil, just in case I has some excess powder paint that dripped.
I hope this might help other who have the same frustration of what to use as a curing rack.
A lot of the colors shown are my custom mixed powder paints. I really like the Black/Ruby Slipper/Glitter.

Attachments

• Curing 001 (Medium).jpg
    Curing 001 (Medium).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 333
  • Curing 002 (Medium).jpg
    Curing 002 (Medium).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 332
  • Curing 003 (Medium).jpg
    Curing 003 (Medium).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 330
  • Curing 1 001 (Medium).jpg
    Curing 1 001 (Medium).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 328
  • Sample Jig Pics 065 (Small).jpg
    Sample Jig Pics 065 (Small).jpg
    19 KB · Views: 329

AllenOK

I use a cake pan that I've drilled a few holes in the sides. I've got a couple pieces of 8x32 all-thread in those holes, secured with hex nuts and wing-nuts. I have small washers on the all-thread, and a couple wing-nuts on either side of the line of washers. Basically, it all forms a giant clamp. I open up the wing-nuts that secure the washers, drop the jigs in between the washers, and when I get all of them on there, tighten down the wing-nuts on the washers, then loosen the wing-nuts on the sides of the pan. Rotate the whole thing so the jigs are pointed up, then into the oven to cure. It's not my idea, but someone else's idea here on JC.

Be advised that it's a good idea to figure out how many washers should be in between the hooks. You don't want them close enough to touch.

plateboater

I used the racks provided in my oven similar to yours from Wally World. Did yours not provide the racks? I can load up at least 200 jigs. I would suggest additional thermometer to confirm temps.

Pepop

jjsjigs said:
Does anyone have an idea on how to stand your jigs heads up while curing so any excess paint doesn't "nipple" up on the heads?

I made this curing rack & it does 48 + jigs at a time.

IMAG1664_zps879578b4.jpg

IMAG1663_zps1fbd702c.jpg

Back