Shooting Docks...Well, Sort Of!

Pepop

Just 4 miles from my door is one of the main feeder creeks (Kickapoo Creek) that dump into Lake Palestine and like most man-made lakes, when it filled it covered several roads, trails and even a few State Hiways. One such St.Hwy. is SH 315 and where the old 315 crosses the creek, there is an old concrete bridge that at the current lake level, has about a 12-14" clearance between the under-side of the bridge and the surface of the water, making it ideal for "Shooting jigs". Anyway, I went today and fished from 1:00 till almost 5 and though I didn't catch any slabs, I quit with 17 nice keepers. Most were caught on a Blueberry Pearl 1 1/4" Slab Bandit. It was a fun afternoon and the weather was perfect.
2-8-13-17fish_zpse5097191.jpg

StumpHunter

Nothing wrong with that catch :) Tie you some marabou jigs in the same colors you are using in the 1/64 or 1/24 oz and try them at that bridge, you have a blast shooting them. They will have a slow drop and should never make it to the bottom with those crappie holding there. Nothing like getting on the crappie. It is fun using all the baits that are offered today. Thanks for sharing the report.

Pepop

LedHed said:
Awesome catch on your jigs!
I gotta be honest, those fish were caught using plain 1/16oz ball head's with plastic Slab Bandit bodies. All I had with me in hand-tied were 1/8oz and the slow fall of the 1/16oz was key I believe. Anyway, I tied up several color combo's on 1/16oz heads yesterday. I'll be ready with my hand-tied's next Friday. LOOK OUT CRAPPIE'S!
smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-030.gif

Back