Shad Darts?

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've never fished em but have been asked to make some. Been told that for shad river runs heavier 1/8 or 1/4 oz. heads are needed to deal with current. Are those the right sizes? What size hooks are appropriate?

LedHed

Sponsor
Don't know about river fishing but for the Do-it JD-3031A; 1/8 - #1, 1/4 - #2

These going to be lead free?

redman

In my Do-It mold I found that I could go up one size up and down from were they say you can on the mold. This is becoming one of my favorite molds.

Hawn if you have to use lead free then go with the heavier head for use in the river especially if there is current involved. 1/4 to 3/8 oz.

Redman

Fatman

For smallies back home we'd use a size 1 hook in the 1/8 and a 1/0 in the 1/4. In the old style mold the bottom half was clear and you could use just about any hook you want. X2 on heavier head with lead free.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yes, lead free. Bought the 1/8 1/4 combo dart mold on eBay, in the mail. The consensus seems to be that 1/4 lead free (3/16 oz. actual) might be light? Are river run shad best fished with #1 or smaller hooks?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I'm on the outside looking in since i do not fish for shad but have caught a few accidental here and there.................... netted a few smallish ones for bait in the past tho.

Hook size for them - no clue. :-/

Weight depends totaly on the flow of the river and the depth needed to fish! My home river (target:smallmouth) is pretty shallow and i use anywhere from 1/16 to 3/8 if i want to keep contact with the bottom. If it is a deep river you may need more weight. Heck, i'm not even sure where shad would hold (up high or tight to bottom) in a river. There are some over-sized shad in a lake i fish and they are ALWAYS on the move.

Have a friend who lived on the East coast for awhile and he has told me stories of fishing for them (Deleware R. maybe) with big weights tied to the end and several hooks loop knoted up the line. They used no bait or dressing on the hooks - said they were attracted to 'shiny' things. Be warned - second hand story there. haha! He also said they were second to none of the smoker!!! :icon14:

Hawnjigs

KISS
The Do-it mold turned out to be pretty vintage, plastic bag has a $14.95 price sticker. Like Fatman says, all kinds of hooks will fit - the 1/4 cavities state "2/0" but a #2 Sickle will fit well enuf to pour. I'm gonna try #1 Owners since a CA guy mentioned strong hooks as necessary & hope that size is appropriate for the New England variety.

If they're attracted to "shiny things" a bare lead free head or one dressed with a bit of Flashabou should do the job.

I'd definitely try em smoked, but have read that some consider shad only fit for crab bait.

FuzzyGrub

I've only fished for them a couple of times. It was May/June on upper delaware, where it splits in NY. We fished with darts (purchased locally). They were about 1/4oz, split color heads and split color bucktails. Bucktails were on the thin side. Letting the jigs drift in the current, seemed to be the trick. Hard fighting fish, and fun to catch. It can be intimidating seeing hundreds in the water, and not paying attention to what you are throwing.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Fuzzy, "Hundreds in the water" meaning fish or fisher-people?

RedMan, if not for shad what are your dart jigs for?

Poured the 1/4 darts today with best fit 1/0 Gamakatsu 604 which is about #1 Aberdeen size equivelant. Tweaked my lead free alloy for heavier weight while still retaining decent shine. Weighs a full quarter oz.

FuzzyGrub

Hawnjigs said:
Fuzzy, "Hundreds in the water" meaning fish or fisher-people?

Fish. It was very clear water. It was my understanding that this is or very close to their spawning grounds. There were only a few anglers in sight. It was a weekday though, and access was a challenge. Put a rope aroung a guard rail pole and batmaned down a 20' cliff. I propbably couldn't do that today. At least the get back up, part. ;)

Hawnjigs

KISS
So, the fish weren't that deep? Was the bite good? - usually, once a fish can see me it won't.

Har, I used to rope down cliffs too - long ago. Never happened, but worried about someone snitching the rope.

FuzzyGrub

Hawnjigs said:
So, the fish weren't that deep? Was the bite good? - usually, once a fish can see me it won't.

Har, I used to rope down cliffs too - long ago. Never happened, but worried about someone snitching the rope.

I caught about a half a dozen in the few hours we were there. My excuse was, they were more interested in each other than the darts. :D Not even sure what the darts are suppose to immitate. Pool was 8-10 ft deep and very clear.

We didn't keep the ones we caught. I've heard they are very boney.

Back