scouting

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet...... find a hole on known water or have a whole new place to fish?

2 weeks ago i caught a few perch in a small (~5 acre) reservoir practicly in my back yard - about a 20 min drive. Never even knew there were perch in this reservoir. Not huge numbers but they were 10"! Have already been trying to come up with a plan of attack for it once i can walk across it. Guess i'm not the only ancy one. :icon14:

quivira kid

It is known water, just a spot new to us. Christmas trees in 12-14 fow about 15 feet off the bank. Vertical jig from the boat or slipbobber it from the bank. I might try and nymph it with a fly rod, too.

Fatman

Zac - c'mon buddy don't start with the snow and ice line yet!!!!!!!! LOL It's still summer!!!!!!!!!!

How far are you from Ft. Riley??? My son lives 20 minutes from base. He's out of the Army now, but just hired as a civilian at the Base Pool.

Uncle Grump

Fatman

You can always put more clothes on to get warm, but never take enough off to be cool..... :)

4" of ice, 3" of snow, and blips on the screen of my Markum sounds real good to me right now. :) :) :) :)

UG

Fatman

UG - You guys can have it!!!!!!! I've been through before and it scared the Heck out of me and I haven't been back out on the ice fishing since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quivira kid

Uncle Grump said:
Fatman

You can always put more clothes on to get warm, but never take enough off to be cool..... :)

4" of ice, 3" of snow, and blips on the screen of my Markum sounds real good to me right now. :) :) :) :)

UG

AAAAAMEN!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Ice under foot with the flasher marking out lines does sound good to me! Throw in a hot thermos of coffee. I have a whole lot of new toys i bought last season that sure do want to get out of storage and play.

Fatman

Only one thing I miss about it!! Nice ice cold perch, crappie and gills!!!!!! but even that ain't gettin me back out there!!!!!

quivira kid

Used some redman heads tonight and caught some crappie. Mostly small. Was casting a jig and bobber before dark.... using a hand tie tipped with waxworms and caught a bunch! A drum, a 3-4# channel cat, lost another because my buddy made a dumbass move "helping", and I put 7 bluegills on ice to clean in the morning. Should be enough for one good meal! I think some tacos and something made in St. Louis sounds like a plan soon.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I can understand the 'miss-count' on the gills but how can you forget you threw in another species!?!? haha

Sounds like the fish are using that brush. How do you have it marked and find it each time..... GPS and Flasher? Would think that would be tough to find anything specific with a flasher. Was given a tip once from a fellow 'ice-addict' to hold the transducer and point it around to get at least a little better idea of what is around. I have found some individual weed pockets tucked in THICK beds that i want to mark somehow. Have a handheld GPS that i really need to figure out how to use.

quivira kid

Humminbird depth finder with gps and sidescan in my buddy's boat helps!

I didn't forget about the crappie.... just forgot to mention it initially. We caught a few crappie, but most were dinks.

When we are hole hopping on the ice, I will swing my ducer around, like you said. It is a perfect way to see what's in the general area!

Back