Samsö 2016 - Danish Sea Trout

Bucho

Took a few days of for a trip to the central danish island of samsö which is known only to a small number of fly anglers for its phantastic summer sea run brown trout fishing. My "team angler" Malte and me wanted to try if the spin rod could do equally well or better. First we had problems to get the fish hooked, but after a few modifications I managed to get a fat 19" and 23" on a freshly tied sandeel slip jig and a simple tube fly behind a tin casting "bobber".

26149920br.jpg

Einmal sind wir dort auf ein paar ange
26150541qj.jpg
26150077dx.jpg

26150078ya.jpg

26150080iu.jpg

26150363tf.jpg

Jig Man

Looks like the trailer hook made all the difference.  Good looking baits and some very nice fish. Hey, did you convert any of the the fly fishermen? :D

Bucho

Well, it wasn´t calm, not at all but this one night.  We were struggling with heavy rain and strong winds from all 5 directions ("above" is a 5. direction only coastal fly anglers know). The slip jig is a modified ultra minnow mold that I fixed myself after I started out last year with a slip jig mold. The casting "bobber" is a 3/4 oz cavity bottom bouncer sinker poured from tin and coated with heavy duty black epoxy base coating that I threaded on a wire with thinner diameter. This way, It slides on the wire and telegraphes lure action or short strikes. The chain swivel`s job is to keep the leader off the body and avoid tangles. It works like a fly leader butt. I store the leader knotted to the swivel which is linked to/separated from the "bobber" with a snap.  

Deep & fast presentation proved to be most effective, the fly fishing instructor I learnt this kind of fishing from uses #4 (very fast) sinking shooting heads over shallow bubble weed, stripping line in like a maniac.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a beautiful stretch of shoreline. The smoked fish looks pretty darn good as well! Good job on figuring out how to get some fish on your line.

Bucho

Hawnjigs said:
Did longer casting(?) spin gear have any advantage over traditional fly casting?

Well, the flyfishing guide who I learnt that fishing from was very keen on hitting the right spot at the right time when the current was strongest so the fish would get active and come in reach of the flyrod. My idea of the trip was to make full use of the spin rod and do things that were usually attributet to fly fishing, namely catching summer sea trout. They are picky in the summer when their metabolism is at peak and the sea is full of food. I analyzed the fishing and thought that a longer casting range would make me more independend from the place and time issue, which proved to be right. That being said, the range is not always a neccessity. With a jig like the one above, I can cast about the same range as a world class fly angler, regardless of the wind direction and without fatigue. With the tin casting egg, I can cast twice the range, which is nice both in case of strong winds that blow a light weight jig right back into your face as well as in dead calm situations when fish are reluctant to come closer in.

At the end of the day, tying for the spin rod is what I make a living with so if I want stuff to go viral on FB I better leave the fly rod at home and come up with something new.

Edit: Another thing Bernd envies the spin angler much more than range was the line intake. Spinning gear can generate much higher lure speed than fly gear, it takes a lot of practice amd effort to even come close as a fly guy.  He finds that speed is a very important factor when chasing browns in open water, and I am whith him on that one.

Back