Salty dog

hookup

Haven't hit salt water for a month of Sunday, so when I got the invite I jumped on it.

We were going after perch in the back bays, so was told all I needed was a UL rod and a M action for stripers.

Had a new UL rod that's never been used, so figured it's time to break it's cherry. Since a trophy perch is 13", I fish this rod the most.

It was a spectacular day....mild temps, light wind, beautiful

20148lauch_zps1e19f90a.jpg

It did not take long to get my 1st ever white perch from salt. Bait of choice was small spinners & thanks to one of the board members who sent me some.

2014perch2_zps005da274.jpg

20148perch_zpsfd441f95.jpg

Then the fun started. The drag screamed ...then I screamed....then we see this big tail slap the water. Mind you, I'm using 4lb test mono on a hand built UL rod.

Turned out to be a 19" striper and my first keeper.

20148Striper_zpsba70ef07.jpg

Ended the day with a pizza and drove home to clean the fish. Filleted the fish last night. Was a little rusty, but after a couple , I finally got into the grove. Gutted six perch, scaled & cooked bachelor style on the grill & invited a buddy over - they are excellent. Fillets are in a wet rub & will go on the smoker later today with pear wood - should be good snak'n.

Oh, I've heard the stories, but can't believe I caught this too.

20148shoe_zps3bdbc4cf.jpg

hookup

Here's some fruit of our labor -- after filleting, cleaned out the guts and made a fish stock; bones, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, & fresh ground pepper.

Rest I marinated in a soy, teriaki, garlic, onion, pepper, brown sugar, ginger, & sesame seeds

IMGP0870_zps13f47e11.jpg

hookup

The smoked fish is awesome. Or I should say was ....

The fish stock will be used later to make some kind of fish soup.

Back