Saltwater Jigs

flatsrat76

Do any of you make saltwater jigs or heads for Plastics? if so post some pics, I would love to see some or maybe even buy some.

Thanks
Flatsrat76

flatsrat76

Hawnjigs said:
How heavy & what size hooks?

Hey Hawnjigs
Long time no talk :p Do you make the Hooksup jig in a heavy 3/0 and 4/0 also looking for some 1/16 to 1/4 heavy hook bucktail jigs........
BTW I might be tossing your hooksup jig this weekend on the flats if weather permitting..

Flatsrat76

Hawnjigs

KISS
Well, its been a year & a half since I paid Shawn Collins for the 1/4 3/0 Hooksup mold, & almost a year since I last heard from him...

IMO, best available Do-it salt water barb collar 3/0 -4/0 design is the 3/8 oz. banana. Best Do-it salt water bucktail head is the Sparkie, but the 1/4 stock fit tops out at 2/0.

flatsrat76

Hawnjigs said:
Well, its been a year & a half since I paid Shawn Collins for the 1/4 3/0 Hooksup mold, & almost a year since I last heard from him...

IMO, best available Do-it salt water barb collar 3/0 -4/0 design is the 3/8 oz. banana. Best Do-it salt water bucktail head is the Sparkie, but the 1/4 stock fit tops out at 2/0.

Maybe Ill just wait another year for Shawn to send out your mold :mad:
God that's a shame:( I was going to have him make me a mold but it sounds like he takes in work faster then it comes out.
On the bucktails, I can scale the hook down a bit, No need for a large gap...

Flatsrat76

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've not fished FL yet, so don't understand the preference for big wide gaps. Seems like smaller hangs weeds & bottom a bit less with more chance for small mouth bycatch, & the heavy wire overkill on light mono.

flatsrat76

Hawnjigs said:
I've not fished FL yet, so don't understand the preference for big wide gaps. Seems like smaller hangs weeds & bottom a bit less with more chance for small mouth bycatch, & the heavy wire overkill on light mono.

Hawnjig
I will show you then. I use jigs with a wider gap because 99% of the time I use plastics like the Exude RT Slug. I really don't have to worry about grass or the bottom much and I have never had a problem hooking up with fish because of light line, Summer time I go after bigger fish and I swap the mono for 10# to 40# braid. I think if a hook is sharp it will hook the fish on the lightest hook set :D I have lost fish due to not enough hook penetrating my bait.....

Flatsrat76

glider311.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, gotcha, I can see from the pic the difference in point clearance for the style of plastic. The small hook might also be underbarbed for a head shaker.

Thanks for the explanation of other facets of flats jigging.

Your redfish baits would eat my trout & crappie jigs!

Back