Saltwater Gurus

Lost Pole

If youre in the know, break these jigs down for me material wise. A buddy's son asked if I tied anything like these and of course I said no. Apparently he uses these for Cobia and has been paying up to $10 a piece and wants to learn to tie em himself. Great kid and I'd like to help him. Might even be looking for some heads for him from y'all guys. He's saying 2 to 3 oz but sounds small to me?
Anywho here's the pic of what he's wanting to do
I'd like to help him in any way I can.
But pics are not always worth a thousand words to me.

18b331b6-5741-2ae3.jpg

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Thx,

Adam

JSC

Most of them are feathers (most Cobia Fishin in this area prfer them) Maribou.

The jig heads are the old reliable ?Bug Eye" .. I dont have the mold .. Several Guys over this way make and sell them ... Retail Runs from 7 to 10 bucks apiece.. Glue in eyes and epoxy coated. 2 & 3 oz.

Lost Pole

I thought it was bou but it looks like they have a "skirt" around them. What it that? Kip?
Doesnt seem like bou would hold up to Cobia.

SaltyBuckster

I've got some Popeye Heads poured if you want a few.They look like them.Mine are 1 and 2 oz. I believe.They have a long collar for marabou.You can figure out how to paint the eyes,lol.

toadfrog

That's a synthetic material around the throat . I think they call it fish hair . P'm pretty sure I got some somewhere saw it the other day . More than likely it hackle tied in first then marabou over that and at the throat is fish hair .

Hawnjigs

KISS
The outer tie might also be the crinkled nylon floss I've used for salty jigs. Its tuffer than natural fibers and has an attractive sheen. I no longer need big jigs so passed my supply on to a forum member. Floss is available in basic colors at most lure components suppliers and comes in long hanks and previously in rolls of fused on one end 2" length.

itch2fish

I make very similar for cobia and there's plenty of very similar jigs in tackle shops around here. If cobia, then defintely a mix of bucktail and feathers. I only target cobia a few times a year but I always have a cobia rod on standby in season. I always make a couple of dozen or so each season....lose a few, give away a few.

Hawnjigs

KISS
A FL jigger sent me two 1/4 oz. nylon floss jigs cut square at the hook bend with a few long trailing silicone legs. Had my doubts but those materials and pattern work fine. Sorry no pic cuz they both got eaten by (dead)lava.

One of them caught the fish of the day, rather small but nonetheless dinner for my bud. Shoreline is seriously fished out, locals blame overharvest due to the recession.

Back