Rod Blank Suggestions?

SlabHappy

I was going to build me a 7' spinning rod for casting ponies and maybe some vertical jigging. Should I go with a 1-piece UL blank, MHX-841 (2-6 lb) or the light (4-8) MHX-842?

Also, has anyone used the nano guides on a spinning rod? Was thinking of using a #16, #8, #4 fly, then 8 #2 nanos, with a 3 tip. I use a small spinning reel, and didn't know if I might have problems trying to cast with small guides?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Well, i don't know nothin' about actually building rods and am primarily a caster and ALWAYS want MORE distance from my casts.................... when i am on the market for a rod it HAS to be 2 piece to fit in the trunk of my Chevy Cobalt and i look for larger guides on the bottom (towards the reel) end of the rod to let the line spool off easier. There are some kind of fancy guides (can't remember name) that are supposed to allow line spooling easier...... JungleJim had a rod made with them if i am not mistaken.

Bkabina

AtticaFish said:
Well, i don't know nothin' about actually building rods and am primarily a caster and ALWAYS want MORE distance from my casts.................... when i am on the market for a rod it HAS to be 2 piece to fit in the trunk of my Chevy Cobalt and i look for larger guides on the bottom (towards the reel) end of the rod to let the line spool off easier. There are some kind of fancy guides (can't remember name) that are supposed to allow line spooling easier...... JungleJim had a rod made with them if i am not mistaken.

Microwave guides.

SlabHappy

Yeah, I was going to go with microwave guides, but decided not. Went with the 7' light blank and nano guides. Might not cast too well, but we'll see. Did #16, #8, #4, 8-#2 nano and a #3 tip. Ordered my stuff last night.

Jig Man

Hey Russ, when I'm in my Cobalt I lay the passenger set down and my fishing rods ride in the front set... Of course Melissa gets a little upset when she has to ride in the trunk.... ;)

hookup

With technology today, one or two piece, it makes no difference. Personal preference really. Think about how to transport your rod. If you transport space is limited, or you travel, two piece - if transport space is no problem, go with a one piece.

As far as nano guides, tests on other rod buiding boards have shown that they cast better, but I'm always wondering if the tests are not performed by the manufacturers of the nano guides & may be a bit biased.

I've build rods with both conventional & nano guides. The only drawback I've found with nano guides is threading the little f'rs. I need to wear glasses to get them threaded.

Nano's are cool though, light weight - although I find I use more nanos, but rod building experts say you dont have to.

So bottom line, go with what you feel like you want and the good news, is you can always build a second. The rod building hobbies addictive, and nothing wrong with building a couple rods to see what works for you.

SlabHappy

Yeah, I'm anxious to go use my first. I think it came out pretty sweet, and I think it is going to be one hell of a jigging pole. It better be, I could have bought 6-10 of them for what I spent on materials and tools.

wtex

SlabHappy said:
Yeah, I'm anxious to go use my first. I think it came out pretty sweet, and I think it is going to be one hell of a jigging pole. It better be, I could have bought 6-10 of them for what I spent on materials and tools.
The reason you use concept or nano guides is to increase casting distance and accuracy. Weight reduction & increased sensitivity are also bonuses. Your goal is to get the line going straight down the rod blank as soon as you can with as little contact with the guide as possible. However the style (height), size and spacing on the stripper guide and the second and third guides is very critical. If you don't achieve the correct route to reduction you increase friction and you will shorten your casting distance.
I know you will enjoy that first catch on a rod you built. Add a jig you tied and it doesn't get any better. Good luck.

Back