Removable split shot mold

walleyetracker85

Hey guys just wondering if anybody pours their own split shots? With as cheap as they are to buy, are they even worth it? Thanks for the help guys!

LedHed

Sponsor
The Do-it would probably be better for you - more cavities per pour. If you are pouring for yourself - Lil Mac, if you want to crank it out - Do-it. What size / sizes are you lookin at?

AllenOK

I have two different Do-It removable split-shot molds. Be sure to smoke your molds. If you're pouring the smaller sizes, you'll want to find a way to heat the mold efficiently to get a good pour.

I haven't had to pour any split shot in over a year. I kind of went hog wild last couple of times. I was supplying a couple kids in the neighborhood as well as myself, but they have since moved away.

walleyetracker85

LedHed said:
The Do-it would probably be better for you - more cavities per pour. If you are pouring for yourself - Lil Mac, if you want to crank it out - Do-it. What size / sizes are you lookin at?
I am just doing it for myself. I was looking at the do it rm-1618 which makes 1/16th and 1/8th. That's what I'd use the most.

walleyetracker85

AllenOK said:
I have two different Do-It removable split-shot molds. Be sure to smoke your molds. If you're pouring the smaller sizes, you'll want to find a way to heat the mold efficiently to get a good pour.

I haven't had to pour any split shot in over a year. I kind of went hog wild last couple of times. I was supplying a couple kids in the neighborhood as well as myself, but they have since moved away.
By smoke your molds do you mean to heat them up?

LedHed

Sponsor
It's taking a candle (or anything that produces black soot) and holding it under the cavities to blacken them. There are spry aerosols that do the same thing. It's a release agent to help you de-mold your pours.

AllenOK

And trust me, it's not easy to get the shot out. Once I need more shot (probably a year or two out), I'll have to smoke the mold.

Back