Reel seat / slip rings

jbdesigns

Hey guys I'm looking to build a few ice rods for the upcoming season.
what are some good reel seats or slip rings that you use, any homemade ideas?
Thanks

Kdog

Lots of guys I know forgo anything fancy and use fiberglass strapping tape to attach their reels. Stay away from metal parts if at all possible something about wet hands and cold metal not being compatible.
nice ebay buy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bag-of-8-Fu...803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5413fa68d3

I bought a handful of rods on ebay for far less than I could make them. However for making rods on a budget, ebay would be my first choice.

Opposed to ebay. then several companies have great selections Jans Netcraft, Mudhole,com, Merrick takle, Barlows and many more.I know Jans has nice graphite rings at a great price just gotta know your size.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about the rings, but i have my ice reels mounted with electrical tape. All my ice rod/reels are either recycled or pretty low-end items though. If i had better combos, would look for those as well.

papaperch

Stay away from rings. If you do use rings you will still have to tape . Rings by themselves have a nasty habit of letting the reel fall off at the worst possible moment.

Two excellent option are heat shrink or the self adhesive tape. Here is one I built a few years back and using the heat shrink.

Only bad thing about heat shrink is if you move your reels often from one rod to another. As you have to cut the heat shrink off. The tape that just adheres to itself works great . The cork and tape allow for one sensitive rod. Slip rings look pretty but function is poor at best. On ice go for function.

jbdesigns

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to try and make up a champagne cork handle and go from there, anyone have any homemade seats made out of plastic threaded pipe or anything along those lines

hookup

imho - avoid slip rings ... they slip

I use a piece of stapping tape to initially hold the reel onto a TN handle, then RodWrap. Like it better than elec tape because my hands don't slip when the seat gets wet

http://www.rodwrap.com/

papaperch

Don't need reel seats either with tape. If you want flat surface to mount reel with tape. Just use a light file to file flatter spot on cork. Metal has a way of attracting cold and keeping it. Thats why on my ice rods handles I do not use any.

hookup

Nice job on the handles jb.

I have a split TN grip made from gasket material similare that was punched, glued, drilled, then formed. I like the way you got the foam pieces. I know guys have used poker chips to give the grips more color.

Led - it aint that hard, but I'll warn you, its very addicting.

Back