Red Heads ?

MtnFisher

Good info no doubt, definitely going to tie up some red head jigs. Have HF red and some sparkly red.

Currently upgrading my UL reels and rods. Bought some new JDM gear to improve throwing jigs to those hungry trout! Going to give some Varivas 3lb line a try.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hawnjigs

KISS
Letting the 4 mile trek big trout holes rest, so today short sessioned under a bridge on a public road which luckily not many fish. Altho the bigger trout were likely invited home for someones dinner, lots of dinks around for fun. The usual RED NP 1/11 oz Hooksup w/ #4 2x hook was a bit oversize for typical 10" wayward stockers, but still at least a dozen managed to get stuck. Altho lots of fun on light gear felt like a stronger tug so slow twitched near bottom for a carp snag. Didn't take long before a 30# goldfish BIT the skrat over red flash under jig. Long tedious battle to land on 6# Nanofil with two wind knot breaks joined with unis + 4# Hybrid leader and that was it for the day. As mentioned the newer mfg Yozuri Hybrid line isn't as strong as older and I don't recommend it.

Looked up Varivas line - surprised at the # of trout specific choices !

Hawnjigs

KISS
Well Mr. Hookup, you appear to have been fortunate to learn from some top dawgs. Altho I've been building jigs since age 12 never even had a vise until I met JiggerJohn online and learned the efficacy of fur+flash ties for trout and crappie. More recently observing local doll fly experts with their polished walleye jigging tekneek which I've yet to fully explore and implement. We imitate initially then adapt and create relative to our personal directives.

Yup, we all have mentors, and I hope to pass on what I've learned to someone willing.

MtnFisher

Caught a few natives a whole back on 4lb Sunline Siglon and my new Majorcraft Finetail trout rod. Saw this one rise near the bank and got him on an orange hand tied jig. Caught and released a few others, nothing over 16" this trip, just dinks.
e53f111b54e2c1ce3298fd48eeb9c350.jpg
4c44d5e1d3954dfe239523a4c075cc05.jpgaed4ac8a9da37654d74dc03584866508.jpg993095a4aa6cd0074a530a6f5a6ca818.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Stay safe all!

Back