Ran across a box of custom molds

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand the bottom one...... has me scratching my head. What does it pour? Jigs with a flat eye hooks???

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, top of the line machining. Are the black dots in the top 2 molds air vents?

Do-it founders collection? Some one of a kinds probably and the orange handle might be an original Semi-Custom prototype.

The bottom mold looks like initial R&D of the Do-it Crappie Jig.

Unique historical stuff for those that would appreciate them. And they would indeed pour some sweet smooth face heads.

LedHed

Sponsor
The last one is intriguing and well thought out. It uses a Mustad 33903 #8 or 10 for the larger cavity which is a 1/28th and #10 or 12 for the smaller - 1/60th. I think it's more for ice fishing - looks like a UFO...

The mold 2nd from the top - had small magnets that had to be removed. The hooks would not lay flush.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Except for the inlets #3 & #4 exhibit some signature features of Do-it design and look vaguely familiar. #3 in particular looks interesting as an attractive alternative to ball heads with the hook eyes close to the head.

Dunno Led, the top row of the bottom heads look bigger than 1/28.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hawnjigs said:
...Dunno Led, the top row of the bottom heads look bigger than 1/28....

I kind of thought they looked big also. But if they are a flat disc shape rather then a full round sphere, they likely 'look' heavier than they actually are. :rolleyes: A larger weight size of the Do-It Crappie Jig i bet would be nice for vertical bait presentations..... thinking Lake Erie yellow perch.

LedHed

Sponsor
Keith - dots are alignment pins for the hooks. Way over "thunk" and too much work on this one this one. Have two of these.

All these molds are cut on Do-it blanks.

The orange handle looks like a precursor to the semi-custom molds that Do-it offers now.

Molds 3&4 came from Michigan. The blanks were drilled with guide holds for the mill. I was told it was not cheap..

Mold #6 was included with a lot purchase. I agree the larger cavity is bigger than 1/28th (printed on the mold) - closer to a 1/16th maybe. Never poured this one. Haven't compared this mold to Do-it's crappie jig mold.

Uncle Grump

LedHed

Are you teasing the crew here? Jerking everyone around, getting everyone who pours lead all hopped up, lickin' their chops at the possibility that you'd be a selling them? Is that what you're doing - huh? Huh Led? :) :)

I got to agree w/ the rest - very neat molds.

Curiosity question - were they all from the same source/seller?

UG

LedHed

Sponsor
UG - too funny
Actually you helped start this clean up project. Not showing off (even if it is) more like showing what's possible. Makes one wish that they had CNC skills. I think someone could stay full time busy with just doing mold modifications...
These molds are the result of collecting for a long time and from all over the US. The majority of the molds (like my vises) come from fleabay or collections.

Also - now there is a place on the web to archive all this "interesting stuff".

Hawnjigs

KISS
Led, this certainly is an intriguing post. Never heard mention of another dedicated mold collector - you might be standing alone.

#1 is a masterpiece. Overdone? Maybe, but the hook eye & shank position pins suggest a seeker of perfection thru the medium of jig head creation. And the other mold design features - cupped micro sprue inlet gate, reverse triangle barb, minimal collar, close to head eye position, are the work of someone with an experienced working knowledge of jig heads. Many of us have ideas of how to improve stock mold designs, & this extraordinary craftsman expressed his to the limit of available tooling.

#3 & 4 are curious - like someone decided to combine Do-it cavity setup with Hilts inlet gating.

hookup

Over on TU I've read posts from guys who own 100's of molds. Not sure if it's collection, obsession, or a buiz?

Keep on posting Led. Some neat stuff you've got. I enjoy every vintage mold or vice you've posted.

LedHed

Sponsor
Last time I checked was >700 hu

Good eye Ec - #1 and pretty sure #2 are from Ultra Molds.

Mis-spoke in post #11 - UM makes their own blanks.

LedHed

Sponsor
They are backed up for 6 months before they will talk about taking on more work. Want another UL football with a plastic keeper.

Surprised you guys aren't best buds RD! Their injector runs ~$42, think that is a good deal... Do you have any of his plastic molds?

Back