Rainbow Trout in Texas

PanfishHunter

TPWD stocked a pond close to my house this week so I decided to go give it a shot. It was cold, windy, and what little fish that were still there were biting. 

We started out throwing rooster tail's and mepps on the far end of the pond where nobody was. My friend managed to pull one small 'bow out of there before we moved closer to the fountain where the majority of people were. This was a good move, because i ended up catching my first keeper trout. We fished this spot a little longer with a few more bites and only one more fish.
We then moved around the pond across to the other side of the fountain. The wind was blowing water straight into my face, but i toughed it out. I hooked up with a few more fish, but lost a few as well. It seemed that the fish were hanging closer to the fountain, i assume due to depth and oxygenation. I ended the day catching 5 fish, but only keeping the 4 biggest ones. 2 of which weren't very big at all, maybe 8 inches at the most.

These are the 2 better sized fish. Hoping to go to a different park that they are stocking this friday to catch some more. All in all, it was a good trip for my first time fishing for trout!

Attachments

• IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 68

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats. Sounds like a fun day. I've caught a few stocker trout in the past, they can be fun and (any trout generally) sure have a different fight than other fish.

PanfishHunter

Guadalupe river is definitely on my bucket list for fishing. I'll be in west texas for a few months this fall, so maybe i'll get a few fishing trips in

jackie53

We are blessed with great trout water's The White and the Little Red love to catch trout.Trout fight to the end. Nice ones.
  As soon as you the trout clean immediately.Their's a little black streak along the inside of their back bone runs all the way to their tail.We keep an old tooth brush or use your thumb nail to take this black streak out.Put on ice.Good eating.

Jig Man

Nice fish, get there the day they are released and you will clean up...They are hangry when they are released!

Fatman

Soak them in salt water!! Don't know what they fed them there but here they give them liver pellets, I won't even go after them for a few week until that taste is out of them, but soaking them in salt water will help a little.

PanfishHunter

The whole fish soaked in Ice water for around a day and a half, and I filleted the bigger ones and just beheaded/gutted the 2 smaller ones and put them in an ice water bath and i stuck that in my fridge. I'm unsure of how I'll cook them, as I've never cooked a fish other than catfish. I did scale them, and man I have never seen so many scales!

If you guys have any ideas, I'm open to them!

AllenOK

No need to skin/scale trout. The skin is really high in fat, and will crisp up enough that you can easily peel it off.

I've done a lot of different procedures for Trout. However, I'm really fond of this way:

Cut off the head and clean out the guts. Use a fingernail to clean out the blood on the underside of the spine. Clip off the fins. Place the Trout on aluminum foil, dot with butter/margarine, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a bit of garlic powder. Wrap in the foil. I like to cook mine in the grill for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway. I usually cook the packets on the grate, but if you wrap a few times with foil, you can cook directly on the coals.

You could go the extra mile and butterfly the fish, but leave it intact. Lots of work, but this leaves you with the option of making a stuffing, placing the stuffing on the flesh side, saute the skin side, fold the fish over, and finish in the oven. Top with a sauce of some kind. Wish I had the recipe for the sauce we used at the Cajun place I worked at when I was in my 20's.

Heck, just sauteing the fish in bacon grease is a good option as well.

Some folks will brine the fish and smoke them.

You could run a Google search for Trout recipes and come up with a bunch.

Back