Question on dyeing

hunter7711

Somewhere on here someone said to use vinegar instead of salt when dyeing hair. How much do you use for say 1 cup of water?

hunter7711

I'm dyeing the fox that I got from Toadfrog. I just read Jim's post and he mentions using vinegar but not the amount. Maybe he will chime in. I found the color I want using a couple liquid Rit dyes. I'll post pics when done.

toadfrog

Use 25 % by volume . Meaning 1/4 cup vinegar to 1 cup water and so on . Stinks like 7734 so if you do it in the wife's utenciles and kitchen give me time to send you some flowers first cause she is going to kill you.

Fatman

Toad are you speaking from experience on the wife's kitchen things :beat-up::beat-up: Been there done that, I have my own stuff now.

JUNGLEJIM1

The acid from the vinegar sets the color into item you are dyeing and prevents it from bleeding. I think a tablespoon per cup of water would do it,although a little more wouldn't hurt. Too much and the hair might fall out. I havn't used Rit dyes so I'd follow their instructions and add a little to be sure the dyes set.

toadfrog

Yea buddy . Just this week . I busted my dollar store spoon so I went into the house looked in the wooden spoon drawer . I selected a ratty old looking spoon fairly heavy . Turned out it had belonged to an aunt I think . At least that was what I gleaned during her temporary terrete's syndrome attack . Warning still stands . Caution Pain , Agony and The Cold Shoulder Will Result .
On the dying . Once you have died the material rinsed it very well . Not in anything that will stain . Let it drain over a trash can until just damp . Them you can use an old pillow case to put it in . Bread tie or zip tie it closed what ever you make sure the thing does not come open when you put it in the dryer . For feathers I like to cut a cup of rice in an old sock tie it shut into a ball. Then I put that into the dryer with the material . It beats everything back to a fluffy state.

Fatman

A bud on another board use's a paper bag with a hole cut in the side and puts the feathers inside and use's a blow dryer to dry them. Just a small tip that might keep the head lady from causing extreme damage should you mess with her dryer, and a hair dryer is way cheaper than a clothes dryer LOL

Back