Prototype Jumbo in-line spinner Mk. II

AllenOK

For a couple years now, I've been wanting to make an in-line spinner big enough that I could throw it with my surf rod. A little over a year ago, I did the Mk. I version, which did technically work, but wasn't quite what I was looking for. I had some BIG brass weights on it, and the entire thing was just to bulky for what I wanted.

Well, about 6 months ago, I had an idea. Instead of using brass weights/beads for the body, go with Tungsten. I found some Tungsten Flippin' weights that went over an ounce. I found some 2 oz weights that had to be ordered. I did a smaller prototype, at 3/4 oz, that would be a good size to throw with my steelhead rod. That one worked, and had a little better range than what I get with my small spinning rods. However, that first day I used it, I managed to smack it on a rock during a cast, which bent the .030 wire shaft. I realized that if I wanted to go to the bigger size, I would have to get some of those .050 wire shafts.

I did that a couple weeks ago, along with finally getting two 1 oz tungsten flippin' weights. I got the Mk. II version assembled. I haven't tested it, yet. I want to use this thing when the Corps. is generating from the tailrace, and I haven't been able to get to the tailrace at the right time. Hopefully, as Spring progresses, they will release more if we get more rain.

Anyway, here's the pic. Penny for scale. Size 5 willowleaf blade. Not sure if that blade will be big enough. If it isn't, I do have bigger blades. It weighs in at over 2 oz. The main shaft is a little long. Any future versions won't be quite as long.

View attachment 1

Attachments

• 20150327PrototypeSpinnerMkII.JPG
    20150327PrototypeSpinnerMkII.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 100

Pup

I really like that 'flashy' willow leaf blade. Great-looking spinner you've designed and built. :cool:

dbeam

Great looking spinner, I have been using lead worm weights with a powder coated paint job for my bodies, but tungsten would be even better.

Darrell

plateboater

Fantastic work.....just order a couple 1/4 pound spools of wire from Hagens....... .29 and .31 for my custom little georges. If you are looking for wire I would suggest them. They just starting selling more wire in smaller spools.

Look forward to RnD pics of the fish with that fancy lure in there mouth!

AllenOK

Fatman, that's where I bent the wire myself. I'm using the Tack-L-Tool thing from Janns Netcraft. Works good with .030 wire, but isn't really recommended for the .050 stuff. For the bulk of the fishing I'll be doing, that will probably suffice. Now, if I get into some 15 - 20 lbs Stripers, in current, that's another thing. Extra wraps would probably be a good thing.

LedHed

Sponsor
X2 on doubling the loop - maybe bigger hook

check out tacklemaking.com on their wire making stuff

Back