Powder spoons and such

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Painted up my swap jigs last night and went down to bake/cure them tonight.  Painted up a couple spoons while they cooked.  The walleye at a few of my local reservoirs are still on my mind.  Ice is just starting to set in so i can't get out and cast anymore.  Wondering if i can't get out after dark and find a few through the ice on these reservoirs which would be a first for me.  So i got to fantasizing............... and painting.  :D  These spoons are considered trolling spoons (i believe) so have added weight on the back side in the way of melted lead free solder.  ALL the paint is powder paint tapped on with a paint brush and some (lines and eyes) is tapped on through stencils.  Still need to cure them, add split rings and add hooks.  When fished vertically through the ice, they will be tipped with either live or frozen shiners.  Bring on the ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 7

Last picture here is my swap jigs.  Black/Gold/Silver is my theme.................

View attachment 8

Attachments

• 100_0834_e.jpg
    100_0834_e.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_0841_e.jpg
    100_0841_e.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 128

bigd

Those look FANTASTIC!!!!!!! How do you paint spoons like that? I have powder paint but it seems to go on to thick. I've dipped and dusted off the paint brush and it's just too thick. I'm very interested in learning to paint spoons but just can't seem to get it right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

bigd

Thank you. I've watched that video and that is how I started to use the paintbrush to drop the paint onto the heated spoon. I just seem to get too much paint on them. Maybe I need to practice more.

Pup

Try using a cosmetic blush brush.  It is designed to hold makeup until contacted by skin.  Some blush brushes may have more densely-packed bristles than a regular/artists paint brush and might require harder tapping to release the powder paint.  This could give you better control over the amount of paint applied.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
It does take practice and a considerable amount of time to paint each one, but since it is a hobby and relaxing i am never in any hurry. I paint them very similar to how it is shown in the video above, except i use a hurricane style oil lamp for my heat source. As Pup mentioned, to get a thin dusting it is all about controlling the amount of powder that taps off the brush. Fuller brushes do work better, but i still tap off the majority from the brush back into the jar before i even start tapping over the spoon or jig. You can dip it in the powder then give it a couple good hard taps over the jar and there will still be powder left in the brush. Then take it over the spoon/jig and tap. You want it to come off as a dust and not in clumps. If it comes off the brush clumpy..... tap it over the jar again. Once you have it coming off in a nice fine dust, you have to keep the brush pretty close to the spoon to get it to fall where you want. Kind of hard to tell from my picture, but only half of the spoon actually has color because i wanted to keep the 'flash' of the silver spoon on the bottom portion. As for the powder eyes and stripes, they were added on using stencils i cut into metal and plastic plates. Just simple holes of different sizes for the eyes and then cut slots for the stripes. I just eyeball the placement on spoons, i do not have a premade blank like shown in the video for the dots.

bigd

Thank you both!!!! I have never tapped off the excess powder as mentioned. I will definately try that and also get a blush brush to try. thanks again.

QPassage

bigd said:
Thank you both!!!!  I have never tapped off the excess powder as mentioned.   I will definately try that and also get a blush brush to try.    thanks again.

I just use my wife's after she leaves for work!   :D  I have found it you hold the brush to a vacuum hose it cleans them perfectly.

Back